Best way to transfer from ntfs (network) to ext3 usb

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Best way to transfer from ntfs (network) to ext3 usb

Postby eljohnsmith » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:20 pm

I am running some experiments with a Pogoplug unit and I am wondering what is the best way to copy a folder with lots of information located on a Windows 7 PC to a HD connected to the Pogoplug on a partition formatted as ext3.

Currently I have mounted the NTFS drive using the command "mount -t CIFS" and then I am running the command "rsync -avzu --progress /ntfs/source/dir /Arch Linux ARM install/destination/dir/" The problem is the transfer speed is only around 1MByte/Sec.

The pogoplug is the model Pogo P21 and it is connected to a Gigabit switch. I can get transfers of around 1Gbps between 2 Windows 7 computers on the same network.
eljohnsmith

Re: Best way to transfer from ntfs (network) to ext3 usb

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:53 pm

A) z for compress wont do you any good unless rsync is running on the host as well, at which point samba/CIFS isn't needed anyways.

2) Don't expect a USB drive to get 1Gbps speed, (which I doubt you're getting quite that on 2 Win7 boxes without significant CPU & disk horsepower).
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Re: Best way to transfer from ntfs (network) to ext3 usb

Postby eljohnsmith » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:48 pm

Thanks for your response.

I tried to do just a regular copy from the Windows side and I am getting between 10 and 14 MB/s which is pretty acceptable so I think I will be working that way. I am thinking that it is because of the low specs of the pogoplug and it having to carry all the overhead of the transfer.

The computers that I use for Windows are pretty beefed up so here is a screenshot of a transfer going about 70MB/s at the time of the capture. It is slow compared to other times: http://imgur.com/P68g0
eljohnsmith

Return to User Questions