Partitioning the install over multiple devices?

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Partitioning the install over multiple devices?

Postby technosf » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:25 pm

Hi Y'all,

At the bottom of the Pogo V2 install page it says:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', '
')Can I use ext3/4?
U-Boot only supports booting from ext2 drives. Booting from ext3/4 drives is unstable and is not recommended. But, if you know what you're doing, you can make an ext2 /boot partition as sda1 and partition the rest as ext3/4. Make sure to edit /etc/fstab too!

Yes... I'd like to do that!

I have a SSD with three partitions, SDA1..3. SDA1 is ext2, SDA2 is swap and SDA3 is ext2 (to be upgraded to ext4 later). I want to put make SDA1 /boot and SDA3 / (root). I have dumped the whole rootfs into SDA3 and it'll boot, where I get stuck is after putting the image on SDA1, getting SDA3 recognized as root.

Are there more in-depth instructions? Anyone done this - how to get set the mountpoints correctly?

Cheers.
[size=85] MochaBin 5G || NSA325 [/size]
technosf

Re: Partitioning the install over multiple devices?

Postby technosf » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:15 pm

So I've tried updating u-boot, setting $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'fw_setenv usb_root /dev/sda3'), still no dice.

Throwing a boot dir on sda1 with the image in it appears to be found... Drive flashes, pogo-LED stays dark, but not prompt from SSH.

Will try creating rootfs on sda1, space for boot on sda2 and swap on sda3, then work backwards until I can upgrade sda1 to ext4.

Any ideas welcome!
technosf

Postby hydro » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:31 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('technosf', 'S')o I've tried updating u-boot, setting $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'fw_setenv usb_root /dev/sda3'), still no dice.

Jeff's u-boot will look for the first partition on any storage device and if it finds uImage on it, it will set usb_root to the first partition of that device, overwriting your change. Maybe have look at my site, where I describe (in german) installing Arch on multiple partitions on a USB flash drive and boot it on the DockStar.
VDR on DockStar / Pogoplug E02: http://linux.bplaced.net/
hydro

Postby technosf » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:12 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('mikestaszel', 'A')mazing guide, I hope you don't mind I posted it in the user guides section.

And it works!

I'm writing up my experience and will post a link ASAP.

Thank you for the help Hydro
technosf

Return to User Questions