Repo "sync" file

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Repo "sync" file

Postby andrewboring » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:36 pm

I'm setting up a private Arch Linux Arm repo for managing a large number of Raspberry Pi units to better control upgrades and software distribution (kinda like building an internal LTS version).

The internal mirror would use a /current symlink to point to a given set of packages, while updates would sync to a new directory based on day (/20180801), then repoint /current to the new set of packages once regression testing has been completed.

In an Arch Linux Arm mirror (eg, http://mi.us.mirror.archlinuxarm.org/armv7h/), there is a file called "sync" that currently contains some numbers. What is this file?

$ curl http://mi.us.mirror.archlinuxarm.org/armv7h/sync

Can I use this file to test for repo updates and initiate a sync process? That is, does the contents of this file change only when the repo packages are updated?
andrewboring

Re: Repo "sync" file

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:21 pm

It's effectively a checksum to ensure the mirrors we push to are up to date. We utilize rsync push directly from the primary mirror to all others, and this file gets touched on the master prior to the push.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Re: Repo "sync" file

Postby andrewboring » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:30 pm

Ah. Cool.

So I could test for the timestamp or contents of this file, and if different, use that to trigger a sync on my end?
That is, if this file changes, then I can safely assume I need to pull a new copy?

Are there conditions where the file might change, but the repo doesn't?
andrewboring

Return to User Questions