CUPS installation comments, and Mac problem

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

CUPS installation comments, and Mac problem

Postby dekortage » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:46 pm

Hey all... I started working with Arch Linux ARM a few months ago, and I'm really digging the new web site design (though I wish my old bookmarks still worked). I have been trying to get CUPS working properly with a Mac here, so I was happy to see this page: http://archlinuxarm.org/support/guides/applications/cups-apple-airprint

Using those instructions, I got further than I've gotten before, but I realized there are a few steps missing from it:

- When editing the CUPS printer config file, it's not "/etc/printers.conf" but should be "/etc/cups/printer.conf".

- Before trying to access CUPS config via a web browser, you need to edit "/etc/cups/cupsd.conf" to say "Listen #.#.#.#:631" instead of "Listen localhost:631" -- inserting your plug's IP number for "#.#.#.#".

- If you're using an HP printer and you don't see your driver listed, install HPLIP ("pacman -S hplip") and then go through the printer "Modify" process in CUPS again. (note: after doing this, the driver selection page may take a really long time to load)

Having said all this... it's still not quite working. See my comments on the forum post here: http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1250 Any Mac users who can offer advice, please let me know.
dekortage

Re: CUPS installation comments, and Mac problem

Postby pepedog » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:40 pm

If you see the printer on the Mac, but it doesn't print, I suspect 2 things

Need this
ServerAlias *
in cupsd.conf

Or a file or directory permission problem
Look in /var/log/cups/error_log or /var/log/everything.log for clues
pepedog
Developer

Re: CUPS installation comments, and Mac problem

Postby dekortage » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:48 pm

I've got the ServerAlias line. Given the trouble I've had with this, I was very careful to follow instructions.

I'll dig into the logs. Thanks for the suggestion about the directory issues.
dekortage

Return to User Questions