Gaming (RUST) and HDD sleep

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Gaming (RUST) and HDD sleep

Postby derikgw » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:24 pm

I forget the exact status in the CPU column of the System Monitor (in KDE Plasma), but it said basically that my HDD was in sleep mode at the same time the game RUST froze up, but shows CPU usage for other tasks. It does that after a while of playing and is somewhat random. Sometimes it is when I am just standing there in game and doing nothing, or sometimes after a couple hours of play, and sometimes after minutes of play.

I am new to Arch and I am wondering if, even though a task is running in memory and may not be performing IO to the disk for a while, does the HDD shut down? Is there a way to stop it from doing that?

Thanks!
derikgw

Re: Gaming (RUST) and HDD sleep

Postby derikgw » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:51 pm

I may have figured it out. I installed PowerDevil for KDE Plasma desktop. Turned all suspend options off. Seems to work so far.
derikgw

Postby derikgw » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:48 am

That didn't work. The memory usage goes up to 11 GB and then the CPU usage says "disk sleep" each time it dies and only when it dies. I think I need to move this to the RUST forums. Looks like a possible memory leak or something. Or maybe the excess memory usage is because it is going into sleep. Heck I don't know.
derikgw

Postby derikgw » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:01 am

Another attempt. I set its priority to real-time. Probably not normally a good idea, but it is the task that is in the most demand at this time. :D We'll see how it goes.
derikgw

Postby derikgw » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:34 am

So far it's working and not even freezing when I alt+tab, which it used to do. So what can I learn from the fact that a game task set at real-time works better? Am I onto something? I am also somewhat of a Linux newb, not just Arch.
derikgw

Postby derikgw » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:58 am

That idea worked a long long time, but ended up in the game freezing and ending the task on its own. Not sure what it is about linux that hates this game, Rust, but it does.
derikgw

Postby moonman » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:39 am

It seems this was meant for https://bbs.archlinux.org/
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Return to User Questions