[Solved] Best ALarm for Tinker Board (not S)

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

[Solved] Best ALarm for Tinker Board (not S)

Postby yous87uu2 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:56 am

Hello!

I'm a person who own ASUS Tinker Board, and love Arch Linux! :D

I have many SBCs like RPi3, Tinker Board, etc.
follow my mind, I want to install arch for all board but Tinker Board is not official support by ALarm.
but found these (1) posts (2). one for normal Tinker Board, another one is for Tinker Board S.

hmm... Hardware spec is pretty same I guess, but that TB S thread's need build instruction...
I'm so confusing, my eyes spinning... :|

What's the best choice for Tinker Board? veyron kernel? TB S build?
Last edited by yous87uu2 on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
yous87uu2

Re: Best ALarm for Tinker Board (not S)

Postby TheSaint » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:00 am

Welcome to Arch linux ARM.
Answering to your question, there's not mainlined installation here, yet.
If you don't expect to have kernel updates frequently, then it just take to use the linaro one and change the rootfs, which is located on the second partition.
Else the conditions are pretty the same, instead of writing on the internal memory is just to write to a good SD card. So you may try the TB5, provided by Summers. If it isn't booting you may see also this directions.

It still not fully working, as there mentioned. I wish the developer pick up the case and minimize the differences between linaro and other distros.

Anyway my thread is pretty long, but interesting to read it all :P
TheSaint

Postby summers » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:46 am

Yes - also worth adding that aside from uboot and the kernel, you can use the default arm arch v7 root file system.

http://de3.mirror.archlinuxarm.org/os/ArchLinuxARM-armv7-latest.tar.gz

The uboot sequence is understood, but does mean that if you want plain arch you need to compile this yourself on an armv7 device.

Mainline kernel is enough to get the machine up, but wifi won't be enabled. I need to push again on the rockchip maintainers to see if we can mainline the wifi - realistically though can't see this happening before 4.21 kernel.

Actually thats a good point, one of the problems with mainlining wifi is that I wasn't sure what should be applied to the TB and what to the TBS - as we had no test for TB. So if you are happy to try out some test device trees, we get a better idea of what to submit to mainline ...
Last edited by summers on Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
summers

Postby yous87uu2 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:04 am

Wow, thanks! I will try many options :D
yous87uu2

Postby TheSaint » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:19 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('summers', 'A')ctually thats a good point, one of the problems with mainlining wifi is that I wasn't sure what should be applied to the TB and what to the TBS - as we had no test for TB.

I think is just a small condition when u-boot starts, to find the media to boot from. But the ROM chip will certainly define the difference with the setting of the MASKROM jumper.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('summers', 'S')o if you are happy to try out some test device trees, we get a better idea of what to submit to mainline ...

Oh, yes! You are invited to give more feedback as you start to set the u-boot from ALarm.
TheSaint

Return to User Questions