Raspi 3 - no sound card detected after appropriate steps

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Raspi 3 - no sound card detected after appropriate steps

Postby keaghoul » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:05 am

Hi all!

I see that there are several topics on this subject both here & throughout the web. However, nothing I have tried is working, and the threads wherein folks have tried all the steps and the issue still persists are all locked without resolution from OP (ie here and especially here.

The relevant module is loaded via modprobe and confirmed:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '$lsmod | grep snd
snd_bcm2835 32768 0')

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'dtparam=audio=on')
is specified in my /boot/config.txt (and is the sole uncommented line since I wrote the config from scratch). I also tried without the abbreviation per this thread.

After several attempts to follow guides and what troubleshooting advice I could find, I even created a snd-bcm2835 file in /etc/modules-load.d/ (with the text "snd-bcm2835")

I have made sure the intended user as well as root are part of the audio group and confirmed this via groups.

Still, after all this (and several troubleshoot -> reboot -> research etcetc) cycles, alsa can't detect my soundcard:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
$aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: vc4hdmi [vc4-hdmi], device 0: MAI PCM vc4-hdmi-hifi-0 []
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
')

Not listed in /proc/asound/cards:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
$ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [vc4hdmi ]: vc4-hdmi - vc4-hdmi
vc4-hdmi
')

(All commands output the same result whether user or superuser)

Am really hoping someone might have a solution to this as, AFAIK, all of the relevant steps have been taken and the soundcard should be working. I know I have to unmute, but that's a moot point when I don't have a functional soundcard to unmute. :lol:
Ditto with
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', ' sudo amixer cset numid=3 1')
since that requires a detected soundcard.

If I'm missing something about that first link that answers this, I'm hoping someone might be able to hold my hand and point it out since I'm not seeing it, and politely request that this thread can remain open until resolution. ;)

Kernel is aarch64, 4.18.12-1 - if anyone is need of any further information, please let me know.

All my best,
keaghoul
keaghoul

Return to User Questions