Boards with upstream Linux support?

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Boards with upstream Linux support?

Postby doragasu1 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:19 am

Is there a list detailing the available ARM boards with upstream Linux kernel support?

I want to get rid of the RPi3 I use as a file server and replace it with something with decent Ethernet + USB performance (Gigabit if possible). So I am searching for a board with upstream Linux support and a performing Ethernet port. I might but "Le Potato" or "Le Frite" if I do not find something better, but they are Fast Ethernet only.
doragasu1

Re: Boards with upstream Linux support?

Postby summers » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:25 pm

These days its may be easier to say what doesn't support linux. As Android is linux based, almost any cpu designed for a phone works.

Practically it means that almost every Arm A series will be support, but almost every Arm M series doesn't have enough grunt (RAM, or flash) to support linux.

This said though, different communities are better or worse at mainlining solutions. TI with there their beagle famillies, seem pretty good at getting solutions mainlined. Rockchip seem far worse from recent boards - a lot of code need hasn't been mainlined.

And than, when boards does Arch Arm official support, list is on the main site, but actually the OS runs on many other boards unofficially, like TheSaint Tinker Board, or my Pocket Beagle.
summers

Postby TheSaint » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:22 pm

I'm unlucky to chosen the TB, I agree with Summers that BBB black + may have a good winning chance.
TheSaint

Postby doragasu1 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:46 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Note that I am not asking for boards with Arch support, but boards with mainline kernel support. I think there are few of these.
doragasu1

Postby summers » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:15 pm

Well the Beagle Bone Black I think only has 100Mbps ethernet. But I think its native to the CPU, unlike many SBC which use a usb ethernet adapter.

The Gbps ethernet I suspect will be what drives it, has to be native to the CPU, and I'm not sure what has it, there can't be many.

Actually I take it back:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'sudo mii-tool -v eth0
[sudo] password for summers:
eth0: no link
product info: vendor 00:01:f0, model 15 rev 1
basic mode: autonegotiation enabled
basic status: no link
capabilities: 1000baseT-HD 1000baseT-FD 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
advertising: 1000baseT-HD 1000baseT-FD 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
')
Given how old the am35xx cpu is in the BBB - I'm surprised it offers 1Gbps connection!

My odroid-c2 is also advertising Gbps ...

Both the BBB and odroid-c2 have eMMC, and speed of the two:

BBB: $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'hdparm -Tt /dev/mmcblk1

/dev/mmcblk1:
Timing cached reads: 188 MB in 2.01 seconds = 93.76 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 42 MB in 3.00 seconds = 13.99 MB/sec
')

Odroid-c2: $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'hdparm -Tt /dev/mmcblk0

/dev/mmcblk0:
Timing cached reads: 1918 MB in 2.00 seconds = 958.79 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 242 MB in 3.00 seconds = 80.62 MB/sec
')

So the odroid is far faster, its even twice as fast to a sd card, than the BBB is to eMMC. Not a surprize, the odroid is *far* more modern hardware. But by comparison, my desktop with something like 7 year old SATA solid state / rotating disk get (240/97 MB/s) - so are far faster even on a rotating disk ...
summers

Return to User Questions