Installation in a router?

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Installation in a router?

Postby sironitomas » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:22 pm

Hi people. I heard most of the home routers and access points have a ARM processor inside. Pardon me for the ignorance, but is it possible to install this distribution in one of those devices? Something like ddwrt.

Thanks.
sironitomas

Re: Installation in a router?

Postby tritron » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:15 am

What wireless router do you have ? You need to install distribution designed for your router. Now is posible to install many aplications to router such as asterisk, MiniDLNA
and many others.
tritron

Postby sironitomas » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:55 pm

I asked because it's more accessible to buy a router and experiment with it, than buying a development board. Believe me, getting a Panda Board or something similar in Argentina could be more expensive than a complete computer.

I think the best home routers out there are Linksys, but I don't know any with more than 16 mb of flash memory, which is too little to install a whole Arch. May be we can use a USB port to plug a pen drive and install there?
sironitomas

Postby kmihelich » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:27 pm

Routers run extremely limited software on extremely limited hardware. They are purpose-built for running the tiny amount of software they have designed for it to accomplish routing tasks. In your average retail router, there isn't enough horsepower to run a full Linux OS.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby kmihelich » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:22 am

The nicer routers generally have a MIPS core though, not ARM. So they're out.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Return to User Questions