Why no Raspberry Pi Zero in the ARMv6h list?

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Why no Raspberry Pi Zero in the ARMv6h list?

Postby Sbyrr0 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:08 am

I read various blog posts about getting Arch Linux ARM on Raspberry Pi Zero W, and they all mentioned that they couldn't find them listed on this website.

Why they aren't part of the ARMv6 platforms?
Sbyrr0

Re: Why no Raspberry Pi Zero in the ARMv6h list?

Postby summers » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:54 pm

Arch Arm only supports a limited number of platforms, which is smaller than the platforms it runs on.

E.g. the Beagle Bone Black is support, but not the pocket beagle, despite being similar hardware.

Suspect its because the maintainers only have access certain hardware, and there are differences. E.g. The Beagle Bone Black has an ethernet socket - and thats how you access it. The Pocket Beagle has an USB OTG socket, so easiest is if that brings up a virual ethernet socket - but that means additional work needed, and there is no one to support it.

Suspect its the same with the RPiZ ...
summers

Re: Why no Raspberry Pi Zero in the ARMv6h list?

Postby karog » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:15 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Sbyrr0', 'I') read various blog posts about getting Arch Linux ARM on Raspberry Pi Zero W, and they all mentioned that they couldn't find them listed on this website.

Why they aren't part of the ARMv6 platforms?

About two weeks ago I installed the basic armv6 Raspberry Pi on a Zero W without problem. See
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '# uname -a
Linux zw 5.4.51-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jul 15 02:49:00 UTC 2020 armv6l GNU/Linux
')
It is running just fine. Give it a try.

You do have to configure the wlan0 interface for WiFI.
karog

Return to User Questions