Raspi 3 does not boot with dracut

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Raspi 3 does not boot with dracut

Postby rao000 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:55 pm

I was wondering if anyone has used dracut with the raspi 3 and if so how they got it working.

I installed arch on an sd card for a raspi 3 and used it to setup another, more complex install (luks on lvm). I installed the base system on a second sd card via pacstrap in the usual way and arch-chrooted into it.

I then installed dracut with the goal of unlocking the root fs over ssh. I copied the contents of the boot folder over to the new boot partition, updated cmdline.txt with the new root fs parameter and rd.luks.name. I also updated fstab.

I then installed the sshd module for dracut and enabled networkd. Finally I regenerated the initram fs with dracut -f and it seemed to work fine, both the crypt, lvm and network modules are in the image.

When I try to reboot into the new image it doesn't seem to boot at all, it's not even dropping me into a rescue shell and I don't have link lights either. The fact that it appears to fail so early makes me think the image is non functional as a whole rather than it being an issue of a missing module but I'm not sure what would cause said failure. Ideas?
rao000

Return to User Questions