PocketBeagle Arch Build

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

PocketBeagle Arch Build

Postby TheJoker187 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:25 pm

Hello everyone, i would like to build arch for the pocketbeagle, i've already read something on the forum but it is not clear to me where should i start, in the past i've made images of raspberry pi and openwrt so i'm not totally new to this kind of process but in this case consider me as a novice because i've no idea on what is needed to achive this goal. I "only" want to put arch linux on the pocket beagle. Any help will be very appreciated. Many thanks to everyone will share some good advices.
TheJoker187

Re: PocketBeagle Arch Build

Postby summers » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:52 am

As I said in the PM, place to start is https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=12623&p=57935.

Start from the Beagle Bone Black Image, create the SD card, then modify so:
a) it works on the PB
b) it brings up the ethernet/seriel on the USB OTG interface

a) needs you to compile a recent uboot, so easiest done on an armv7 board, but build is (or was) simple (uboot has moved onto device trees, don't know how that changes the build).

for b) just follow the instructions on the above thread. Read carefully, and understand what each is doing, and why.

Anyway after that, just put the SD card in the PB, and plug into USB port on your computer, and then ssh into the box and you are away.
summers

Postby TheJoker187 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:03 pm

Ok, Thank you so much, so i've managed to create the debian sd card for the pocket beagle, right now i'm connected to the beagle using the serial port, i've wired an usb to ethernet adapter and that way i have internet on the system, now, where sohould i start to create the arch sd card ? what i have to do first ? Sorry if i do not get it but, the pocket beagle have only one micro sd card slot so arch will be placed into the the actual sd card that now have debian on it ? Or i have to plug another sd card into the system using an usb hub for example ?

Thank you so much
TheJoker187

Postby summers » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:15 am

Start from the BBB image: https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7/ti/beaglebone-black

Then do updates as needed, if the Debian uboot works with PB, you could just use that rather than compiling it yourself. IRC modern uboot has merged all the AM335X boards, so compile is probably slightly different now.

Bring up ethernet and serial on the USB gadgets makes it easier, as means you don't need a separate ethernet or serial connection; and instead just piggy back off the host computer.
summers

Postby TheJoker187 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:29 pm

Okey so, what i've done is:
1) inserted a new sd card into my raspberry pi using an usb adapter
2) followed the guide: https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7/ti/beagleboard to create an sd card
3) inserted the sd card into the pocket beagle and opened the serial monitor
4) applied power
5) nothing happen ...
6) frustration started ...
TheJoker187

Postby TheJoker187 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:20 pm

Ok, my fault, i was following the wrong guide for the wrong board, so you suggested to follow the installation of the beagle bone black: https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv ... bone-black and you wrote in the other post that the pocke beagle will boot: ArchLinuxARM-am33x-latest.tar.gz. So i carefully followed all the steps in the installation guide for the beagle bone black in the installation tab but once i put the sd card into the pocket beagle ... same thing nothing on the console. I'm doing something wrong ? with the standard debian image it boot from the sdcard and i can see everything on the terminal without any problem. Anyway @summers thank you for your time and for your help, i'm still learning so please be pacient i have to learn a lot of things.
TheJoker187

Postby summers » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:31 pm

The distributed image used uboot from 2017, however the pocket beagle was only added in 2018, iirc. Hence why if it has to be updated in the image first. This is given in the first post of this thread, e.g. Updates to the image needed before you first boot. Make these changes first on whatever machine you use to create the image.
summers

Postby TheJoker187 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:03 am

Ok but how can i update the uboot on the sd card using another os like raspbian ? the istallation instructions just let me wgwtting the tar image of the system and after i can un-tar it into the root of the sd card so how should i update the uboot ? Sorry if i ask but it's the first time i try to do this
TheJoker187

Postby summers » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:17 am

You compile it on a machine that does armv7, move to /boot on the SD card, then write it to the right place in the SD card according to https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7/ti/beaglebone-black.

The AM335x CPU has a small boot rom that means it goes an looks on the SD card in some specific locations for the boot loader and runs it, so all we have to do is put the boot loader on the SD card in the right place.
summers

Postby TheJoker187 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:08 am

Ok, thank you, now everything make sense so on the pi what i need to do to compile uboot for the pocket beagle ? where can i download the sources and the patch ? I need to be guided here I'm sorry never done something like this. Thank you so much
TheJoker187

Next

Return to User Questions