No pulseaudio after upgrading to kodi-rpi 18.9-3

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

No pulseaudio after upgrading to kodi-rpi 18.9-3

Postby dequis » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:29 pm

Hey there. I use pulseaudio for bluetooth speakers. This used to work fine with kodi-rbp4 18.9-4, but with the new package, kodi-rpi 18.9-3, it doesn't seem to even try to start a pulseaudio server.

I've isolated the issue to this package, downgrading works, using mpv from another user session works.

(Sorta. In the process of debugging this I made the mistake of trying kodi-rpi-git 19.0b2, and now a bunch of my addons are upgraded to python3 and it's really hard to go back without backups. Also, somehow, some addons still require python2?? What year is it?)

I got analog audio off in config.txt and kodi-rpi 18.9-3 uses HDMI audio out, somehow.
dequis

Re: No pulseaudio after upgrading to kodi-rpi 18.9-3

Postby graysky » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:36 pm

Are you starting kodi from the included kodi.service or are you running as your own user? If using the service, it could that this change which effectively moves kodi.service out of user slice into system slice is to blame. If you are using the service, would you mind editing that file and replacing its contents with the old service, then reboot the box and see if pulse works and report back please?
graysky
Developer

Postby dequis » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:38 am

Oh! Thanks for the quick reply, didn't realize "Notify me when a reply is posted" defaults to off here.

Reverting those changes did the trick. Thank you.

Because of the upgrade+downgrade from -git I had some weird crashes and lots of python2 related exceptions, and had to pretty much re-do my config (removing all addons and installing them again), but hey it works now and looks nicer than before.

Maybe add a post-upgrade message for the -git package, recommending making a backup before restarting the service when going from 18 to 19?
dequis

Postby graysky » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:26 am

Re: pulseaudio, if you run with the reverted kodi.service, you are subject to data loss when you call your system to shutdown or reboot. This is because systemd kills user sessions without waiting for them to gracefully stop. In this case, kodi is killed before it updates things in guisettings.xml like total uptime, some settings you made, etc.

It seems one solution is to use the package-provide kodi.service and to configure pulseaudio to run in system mode: https://github.com/graysky2/kodi-standa ... pulseaudio
graysky
Developer

Postby dequis » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:42 pm

Oof, okay, that probably also explains why it used to take forever to shutdown. I didn't even check if that's still an issue because i've been doing 'systemctl stop kodi' manually before every reboot lately.

And yeah I've thought about that, but system-wide pulseaudio is not a very well supported configuration. Happy to see you brought up the same point here: https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/ ... 45817.html

Also, re-reading https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwa ... ystemWide/ - i personally wouldn't care about "security" in a setup like mine (everything in this raspberry pi is practically passwordless), but losing performance due to shared memory not being allowed sounds pretty bad.

That page does make me wonder what kind of "desktop use case" they have that where this is a concern: "Security: all users that have access to the server can sniff into each others audio streams, listen to their mikes, and so on". Sounds like some alternate universe stuff to me.
dequis

Return to User Questions