ISO for ARM ESXi

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

ISO for ARM ESXi

Postby sickman » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:59 am

Hello,

I've been trying to figure out a way to install the operating system as an instance in ARM ESXi Flings on Raspberry Pi 4. The issue is that, most downloads are compressed tar files of the system itself. I was able to download them via an ubuntu ISO, but was not able to put a bootloader on it after mounting the root and boot and placing the files appropriately, then chrooting. I might have missed a step perhaps?

However, is there a possibility that at least aarch64 would get an ISO to make the install simpler instead of placing the file in an SD (as intended for bare metal?) I would like to install it side by side to other OSs in the mini ESXi lab on my Pi.

Thank you!
sickman

Re: ISO for ARM ESXi

Postby moonman » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:28 pm

It looks like ESXi for ARM is using UEFI to boot the OS, while most boards use U-Boot. You can try to boot it like you would on x86 i.e. install grub or rEFInd
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby sickman » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:00 am

Oh, I never tried straight up running an x86 iso on there, I read that only ARM architectures work on the ARM ESXi. I'll try to boot with an x86_64 Arch Linux ISO and see if I can install the aarch64 on it. Is this what you're suggesting? Since I'm sure the install will allow me to install grub, if it's an Arch Linux ISO. Thanks! I'll try this soon.
sickman

Postby moonman » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:51 pm

No you can't do that. You may have to boot up an existing linux vm, attach arch disk to it, chroot into it and install a bootloader. I do not know if it will boot up though given how linux on arm uses device tree files. Is there one that describes ESXi vm hardware?
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Return to User Questions