From arch x86 to the pi

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

From arch x86 to the pi

Postby Chefkoch » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:28 pm

I have been using (Arch) Linux for a couple of months now on a Dell Laptop and have been quite happy so far, I can do almost everything on it that I was going for.

I now took on the project to try my Raspberry Pi 4 4GB as a light office machine using Arch on a USB SSD.I familiarized myself with the setup process on an SD card, waiting for the SSD to be delivered tomorrow.

I am not clear yet which version is better, the 32 bit ARMv7 or the 64 bit version. Naturally I would go for 64 bit, although I saw some issues raised on the officel website regarding proprietary packages. What would be better for my use case?

Thx
Chefkoch

Re: From arch x86 to the pi

Postby graysky » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:05 pm

I have been using aarch64 on my RPi4Bs for several months now and find no loss of functionality. I don't see the why one would want to run armv7h at all these days. You have a decision to make regarding which kernel you want to use however.

1) linux-raspberrypi4
2) linux-aarch64

The first takes it code base from the raspberry pi foundation which includes modifications to use hardware specific to the RPis. You can do some cool stuff like hardware accelerated decoding of videos for example. The second is mainline vanilla linux. It should run fine on the hardware but lacks the ability to use some of the RPi-specific hardware fully.
graysky
Developer

Postby Chefkoch » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:35 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('graysky', 'I') have been using aarch64 on my RPi4Bs for several months now and find no loss of functionality. I don't see the why one would want to run armv7h at all these days. You have a decision to make regarding which kernel you want to use however.

1) linux-raspberrypi4
2) linux-aarch64

The first takes it code base from the raspberry pi foundation which includes modifications to use hardware specific to the RPis. You can do some cool stuff like hardware accelerated decoding of videos for example. The second is mainline vanilla linux. It should run fine on the hardware but lacks the ability to use some of the RPi-specific hardware fully.

Thanks for that, from your description I would go for option 1 for sure. That would then be ArchLinuxARM-rpi-aarch64-latest.tar.gz ?

From my short tryouts I could not get skype from AUR to run on the Pi, I am guessing the availability of packages will be reduced vs. an x86 Arch installation?
Chefkoch

Postby graysky » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:38 pm

You can just use the 64bit rpi4 image which will provide linux-aarch64 and swap kernels. From memory this should do it:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'pacman -S --needed linux-raspberrypi4 raspberrypi-bootloader raspberrypi-bootloader-x raspberrypi-firmware firmware-raspberrypi')

Alternatively, I made an aarch64/linux-raspberrypi4 image you can pull and use instead: http://repo-ck.com/aarch64-test/

Not sure about skype/never tried it.
graysky
Developer

Return to User Questions