ArchLinuxARM bricked my x86 laptop from chroot

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

ArchLinuxARM bricked my x86 laptop from chroot

Postby Hydranix » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:51 pm

I've had this Dell E7470 laptop for a couple years.

Its my daily driver. I do a lot of work on it.

Lately I've been coding up a server in C++ meant to run a Pi Zero W.

I use the archlinuxarm root image and with qemu-user-static from a standard X86_64 arch Linux system I arch-chroot into the archlinuxarm root filesystem to compile the builds for testing them on actual hardware.

This last time I ran a $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'pacman -Syu') in the chroot to update libraries.

The update went mostly fine until it tried update the kernel, bootloader, and firmware files.

I saw some read-only filesystem errors for various things in /sys related to.firmware and CPU. I ignored them and uninstalled the kernel, bootloader, firmware, and mkinitcpio tools to avoid errors in the future.

When I shut down my laptop today, it never.came back qon.

My laptop doesn't POST any longer and no longer activates the keyboard backlight. Weird right?
Fans don't come on, no LEDs other than the charging LED come on. The laptop eventually just shuts itself off after a few minutes.

Tried automated BIOS recovery, no avail.
Guess I'm going to dump the eeprom and go from there.

So my question to you guys is, does the archlinuxarm Iimage make any modifications via sysfs to firmaare? Is that even possible?
Hydranix

Re: ArchLinuxARM bricked my x86 laptop from chroot

Postby moonman » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:50 pm

It can't be anything more than a coincidence,

I did find that dell laptops are flaky. I've seen many 5590s with melted PMU chip, or 5580/5590 with similar issues to yours. Sometimes pulling the battery out for 5 seconds helps.

If you have any more questions, please direct them to bbs.archlinux.org as this is clearly x86 issue and they will probably have more people there to assist you.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby Hydranix » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:33 am

Thanks for the suggestion.

Your answer implies that no, nothing firmware related is modifed [that would potentially cause my laptop to fail.]

I'm pretty sure the laptop failed due to an issue completely unrelated to archlinuxarm.

When the bootloader for the raspberry pi image of archlinuxarm is updated does it change anything on the raspberry pi hardware?
Hydranix

Postby moonman » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:08 pm

Nope, nothing is changed. The only thing that that is rpi-eeprom update that flashed new firmware on RPi4
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Return to User Questions