Zero 2 W support

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Re: Zero 2 W support

Postby graysky » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:24 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WebReflection', 't')he 32bit version of the Pi4 (maybe others too, haven't checked yet) uses (or used to use) the linux-raspberrypi4 (or linux-rpi) by default

Just to clear this up: The linux-rasberrypi4 package is no more. It has been renamed to linux-rpi. Most RPi models will use linux-rpi. Only the oldest models use linux-rpi-legacy.

64-bit kernels: linux-rpi (RPi Foundation mods to mainline kernel) and linux-aarch64 (mainline kernel).

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WebReflection', '
')In few words, is it planned to have http://os.archlinuxarm.org/os/ArchLinux ... est.tar.gz snipping same as http://os.archlinuxarm.org/os/ArchLinux ... est.tar.gz does, meaning with the linux-rpi specific kernel, instead of the mainstream one?

The 64-bit image ships with linux-aarch64 as it works for most people. Of course, special use cases such a HW acceleration require the "vendor" kernel so that option is available in a few pacman calls. Generating a single 64-bit image is better from a maintainability perspective.
graysky
Developer

Postby WebReflection » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:38 am

> Of course, special use cases such a HW acceleration require the "vendor" kernel so that option is available in a few pacman calls.

reading other threads it looks like linux-rpi 64bit works everywhere while linux-aarch64 might need to be booted on a different SBC (Pi4 with less RAM? Pi3? Who knows) so there's more than "just few pacman calls" there.

The 32bit version ships with linux-rpi and full HW acceleration too, why don't we want to be consistent for the 64bit image too? The current one needs specific boot loader or specific rpi stuff anyway, I can't see the advantage of shipping a non-ideal (for the Pi) kernel only when 64bit is flushed ... or better: what am I missing that is better with aarch64? Installing that, if strictly desired/needed, is also few pacman calls away, but the issue with booting in different boards to finally have it working on Zero 2, Pi 4 8GB RAM, etc, wouldn't exist, right?
WebReflection

Postby karabaja4 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:57 pm

Hi all.

Went though this whole topic to try and understand how to install aarch64 on a Pi Zero 2 W, but I'm still not clear on how to do it.

As far as I could understand, currently the only way to install a aarm64 image on a Pi Zero 2 W is to install ArchLinuxARM-rpi-aarch64-latest.tar.gz on a Pi 4, chroot into it and install a linux-raspberrypi4 kernel instead of linux-aarch64 kernel?

Is there a way to get aarch64 image on a Pi Zero 2 W if we don't have another Rpi 4 lying around to build a SD card on?

P. S. Instructions on https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv ... -pi-zero-2 under "AArch64 Installation" are a bit misleading because trying to boot that image directly I just get stuck on the rainbow screen on a Pi Zero 2 W.
karabaja4

Postby andiling » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:18 pm

Generally it is possible to chroot into an aarch64 environmemt from an ordinary PC using the QEMU emulator. For Arch Linux the needed packages are available on AUR (qemu-user-static-bin and binfmt-qemu-static). You need to copy the static binary into the chroot fs and register the interpreter. Once done you can chroot into the aarch64 environment (e.g. sudo arch-chroot /alarm /usr/bin/qemu-aarch64-static /bin/bash) and run commands as if you would be on your pi.
andiling

Previous

Return to User Questions