Do you really need systemd?

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Do you really need systemd?

Postby jyno » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:52 pm

Hello everyone!

I assume most of you have used Archlinux before ArchLinux ARM and before the transformation to systemd over init.

Yet we, ARM users, are mostly using SBCs, we don't run ArchLinux ARM with a laptop lead, thus I don't think that most of us need a component that will help us manage events like lead closed/open etc.

I've installed ARMtix and Slackware ARM several times and non of these is getting close to the ease, and simplicity of the straightforwardness of instalation procedure provided by ArchLinux ARM (thank you devs for that).

I don't have the time to follow the installation instructions of the couple of distros mentioned above, so I came back to ArchLinux ARM again and again.

I firmly encourage to drop systemd from ArchLinux ARM. I think we are small enough and experienced enough to handle things with init.

Of course, this means that we will have to refer to Artix wiki instead of Archlinux wiki and sometimes make modifications to Archlinux wiki articles that are currently valid for ArchLinux ARM too.

Personally, I don't like systemd, I think it is bloated. I think it's a security hazard due to the difficulty to analyze network activity of software from within the system.

I'm for abandoning systemd.

Please participate and voice your opinion.
jyno

Re: Do you really need systemd?

Postby graysky » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:57 pm

Like it or hate it systemd is here to stay; far too many programs require it/ship systemd units. You will face an uphill battle if your intention is to run Arch without it.
graysky
Developer

Re: Do you really need systemd?

Postby jyno » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:35 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'Y')ou will face an uphill battle if your intention is to run Arch without it.

You are correct; that is, as long as one would want to enjoy the repositories or Arch and AUR.

Artix have a dummy/fake/placeholder package of systemd in order to perserve compatibility with Arch packages and they also face some politics issues, such as Arch packages that they justly claim are out of date, yet they too don't update these packages, in order not to break compatibility with many other packages.

I know. I know. I know.

Yet, if there's a way for us to make it different for SBC users, I'll be delighted to see that.
jyno

Return to User Questions