Absolute Beginner looking to play around with linux

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Absolute Beginner looking to play around with linux

Postby watrewks » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:33 pm

Hi guys,

As stated, I'm an absolute beginner to the command line. I just got an HP Chromebook model 11a-na0021nr and the hardware comes up as Mediatek MT8183 ARM. Idk what version (I think 8?) it is but so far I installed the basic linux terminal, put it in dev mode, gpu accelerated, and turned off write protection. I'm looking for a way to erase the Chrome OS and add a new OS (preferably linux). I'd like for this computer to have fully customizable software that uses the hardware to its fullest if possible.

I'm looking for help to get started. I bought this just because it was cheap and I wanted something to play around with. I knew nothing about ARM vs Intel and I think taking something on like this could be fun. So...any suggestions on how to proceed? Thanks in advance.

PS. Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I did look around and I don't know much about computer hardware
watrewks

Re: Absolute Beginner looking to play around with linux

Postby robg » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:52 am

Hello watrewks, and welcome to the Arch Linux ARM forums and the world of Linux!

Alas, the ARM world differs from the traditional x86 one (think Intel and AMD) in that standardization has not yet proceeded to the point of running a single ALARM image on every ARM device. This is why you find separate images to download for their respective targeted devices; yours is not among them. The closest architectural match seems to be the Acer Chromebook R13. You could try to follow its installation instructions on your device, but there is no guarantee of success. I also couldn't find any information on Google.

What I suggest doing - before anything else - is to try asking on the Manjaro ARM forum. Their system is based on Arch and covers a wider range of devices. Also, they tend to be more receptive to inquiries for devices that are not official supported (of course this is not to say that the ALARM team is any less awesome :)
robg

Re: Absolute Beginner looking to play around with linux

Postby watrewks » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:36 pm

You're awesome! THANKS!!!
watrewks

Return to User Questions