[Solved] Kernel related problem: vers. 2.6.39 instead of 3.0

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

[Solved] Kernel related problem: vers. 2.6.39 instead of 3.0

Postby Pastis » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:10 pm

Hi There,

I am facing a strange problem with my Dockstar. I think that I don't have the correct version of the kernel running but I am not sure. Let me explain.

When i try to mount an nfts disk with the command ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 pipo , I get:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.39-ARCH/modules.dep: No such file or directory
fuse: device not found, try 'modprobe fuse' first')

Same when I try to lunch autofs
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'Oct 11 21:50:19 dockstar modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.39-ARCH/modules.dep: No such file or directory')

I tried to:
Reinstall some packages with pacman -S kernel26 kernel-headers linux
Create a symlink from /lib/modules/2.6.39-ARCH to /lib/modules/3.0-ARCH

With symlink, when trying to mount with nfts as above, I get:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'FATAL: Error inserting fuse (/lib/modules/2.6.39-ARCH/kernel/fs/fuse/fuse.ko.gz): Invalid module format
fuse: device not found, try 'modprobe fuse' first')

Some informations:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'uname -a
2.6.39-ARCH')

pacman -Si linux
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
Repository : core
Name : linux
Version : 3.0.3-1
')

modprobe fuse
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'FATAL: Error inserting fuse (/lib/modules/2.6.39-ARCH/kernel/fs/fuse/fuse.ko.gz): Invalid module format')

rc.conf
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'LOCALE="en_US.UTF-8"
DAEMON_LOCALE="no"
HARDWARECLOCK="UTC"
TIMEZONE="Europe/Paris"
KEYMAP="fr-latin9"
CONSOLEFONT=
CONSOLEMAP=
USECOLOR="yes"
VERBOSE="3"

MODULES=()
DAEMONS=(!hwclock syslog-ng @network @dbus @netfs @crond openntpd @sshd !rpcbind !nfs-common !nfs-server @samba)
')

fstab
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system> <dir> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
devpts /dev/pts devpts defaults 0 0
shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid 0 0
#/swapfile.img none swap sw 0 0
/dev/sda1 / ext3 defaults,relatime 0 1
/dev/sda3 /boot ext2 defaults 0 1
#/dev/sda2 /media/dockstar-data ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
#/media/Multimedia /export/multimedia none bind 0 0
#/media/Data /export/data none bind 0 0')

Do you have any ideas of what is going on? I am only a user of archlinux, I am not a poweruser. I am a bit lost with that. I would like to avoid having to reinstall.

Cheers.

Now that I can say it, I would like to thank all the people working on archlinux, youre are awesome ;)
Last edited by Pastis on Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pastis

Re: Kernel related problem : Version 2.6.39 instead of 3.0

Postby hydro » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:37 pm

I'd say you upgraded the kernel but didn't reboot, so all modules for the old kernel, that is still running, were removed.
I wonder, however, how you were able to run pacman -S kernel26 kernel-headers linux since kernel26 conflicts with linux. I'd suggest to remove the symlinks you made, then run pacman -Syyu and reboot.
VDR on DockStar / Pogoplug E02: http://linux.bplaced.net/
hydro

Postby Pastis » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:52 pm

You are right for the kernel26 package, it does not exist anymore and only kernel-headers linux are installed. I took it from an other post somewhere in the forum.

Thanks for the suggestion but I rebooted a couple of times without success. symlink has been removed too
pacman -Syyu has no effect, my system is up to date.
Pastis

Postby hydro » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:03 pm

What's the output of
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'file /boot/uImage')
? If it's doesn't say "Linux-3.0-ARCH", then a reinstall of linux should put the right image in it's place.
pacman -S linux
')
... except if you have NoUpgrade = boot/uImage in /etc/pacman.conf (I do, because /boot/uImage is my custom kernel).
hydro

Postby Pastis » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:25 pm

/boot/uImage
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '/boot/uImage: u-boot legacy uImage, Linux-3.0-ARCH, Linux/ARM, OS Kernel Image (Not compressed), 2673904 bytes, Sat Aug 20 06:28:00 2011, Load Address: 0x00008000, Entry Point: 0x00008000, Header CRC: 0xF57ABFBA, Data CRC: 0xCA4D33C5')

I haven't done anything with custom kernel or similar (and I don't want to)
I tried to force the reinstall of the kernel with pacman -Sf linux but it didn't help.

It is time to sleep for me, thanks for the help. I will check that later.
Pastis

Postby hydro » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:16 pm

Okay. I must admit I didn't look too closely to the /etc/fstab file. As I see you have a separate boot partition on sda3. This is quiet unusual. If you did not modify the bootloader carefully using fw_setenv, then uBoot will still load the image that is located on sda1. Since sda3 is mounted on /boot (inside sda1) the kernel image in sda1 becomes invisible to your system and will never get updated, and hence kernel.2.6.39 is started forever. If this sounds reasonable to you, then the following commands should help make uBoot load the image on sda3.
fw_setenv usb_scan_1 'usb=0:3 dev=sda1'
fw_setenv usb_scan_2 'usb=1:3 dev=sdb1'
fw_setenv usb_scan_3 'usb=2:3 dev=sdc1'
fw_setenv usb_scan_4 'usb=3:3 dev=sdd1'
')
Now uBoot expects uImage in the directory /boot on sda3, but it is actually inside the root directory of sda3. This is a workaround I use for that purpose:
cd /boot
ln -s . boot
')
On the other hand, if my assumptions are correct, uBoot is able to boot from an ext3 partition, so a seperate boot partition is not needed at all and you may just unmount /boot, uncomment the fstab entry and reinstall the linux package one more time.
hydro

Postby Pastis » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:08 pm

You rock, problem solved :D

The separate boot partition was the problem.
I umount my /boot partition and did a: file /boot/uImage. It was a 2.6.39 version. I followed your second recommendation (less risky than the first one) and it worked as a charm.
I commented the /boot entry in entry, reinstall kernel with pacman -S kernel-headers linux and rebooted.

I can now enjoy ntfs partitions and autofs daemon.

I choose to have 2 partitions because I had corruption problems with ext2. I wanted a more robust filesystem and choose ext3. I followed a french guide (http://www.pluc.fr/2011/02/seagate-dockstar-installation-et-amelioration/) but I didn't get the trick with fw_setenv usb_scan_1 'usb=0:3 dev=sda1'. I only take care that the root partition was sda1 and did not realize that usb0:X was the boot partition.
In the tutorial, a separate ext2 partition is used for /boot in addition with the root partition.

Thanks for your time hydro ;)
Pastis

Return to User Questions