MiniDLNA not picking up new files

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

MiniDLNA not picking up new files

Postby Bigpapacherry » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:38 am

I just installed Arch Linux ARM on a Pogoplug pink this weekend, and have had a pretty easy time setting up a number of apps thanks to these forums. However, I'm having an issue with minidlna and it's autoscanning feature. I can get the scanner to work after cleaning the cache, but once it does the initial scan, nothing else happens. I've tailed the log, and can see if scan to start. I'm guessing there's an issue with my config, so I've included my /etc/minidlna.conf below. I have no other issues watching or viewing files via minidlna.

Any ideas what could be happening? I'm pretty good with *nix, but have used it mostly professionally, so setting up "fun" apps are still new to me.

Edit: minidlna is set to run as root, in case that comes up.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '# port for HTTP (descriptions, SOAP, media transfer) traffic
port=8200

# network interfaces to serve, comma delimited
#network_interface=eth0

# set this to the directory you want scanned.
# * if have multiple directories, you can have multiple media_dir= lines
# * if you want to restrict a media_dir to a specific content type, you
# can prepend the type, followed by a comma, to the directory:
# + "A" for audio (eg. media_dir=A,/home/jmaggard/Music)
# + "V" for video (eg. media_dir=V,/home/jmaggard/Videos)
# + "P" for images (eg. media_dir=P,/home/jmaggard/Pictures)
media_dir=V,/media/Elements/Torrents/Complete
media_dir=A,/media/Elements/Music
media_dir=V,/media/Elements/Videos

# set this if you want to customize the name that shows up on your clients
friendly_name=Armory

# set this if you would like to specify the directory where you want MiniDLNA to store its database and album art cache
db_dir=/var/cache/minidlna

# set this if you would like to specify the directory where you want MiniDLNA to store its log file
log_dir=/var/log

# this should be a list of file names to check for when searching for album art
# note: names should be delimited with a forward slash ("/")
album_art_names=Cover.jpg/cover.jpg/AlbumArtSmall.jpg/albumartsmall.jpg/AlbumArt.jpg/albumart.jpg/Album.jpg/album.jpg/Folder.jpg/folder.jpg/Thumb.jpg/thumb.jpg

# set this to no to disable inotify monitoring to automatically discover new files
# note: the default is yes
inotify=yes

# set this to yes to enable support for streaming .jpg and .mp3 files to a TiVo supporting HMO
enable_tivo=no

# set this to strictly adhere to DLNA standards.
# * This will allow server-side downscaling of very large JPEG images,
# which may hurt JPEG serving performance on (at least) Sony DLNA products.
strict_dlna=no

# default presentation url is http address on port 80
#presentation_url=http://192.168.1.50:8200

# notify interval in seconds. default is 895 seconds.
notify_interval=120

# serial and model number the daemon will report to clients
# in its XML description
serial=12345678
model_number=1

# specify the path to the MiniSSDPd socket
#minissdpdsocket=/var/run/minissdpd.sock

# use different container as root of the tree
# possible values:
# + "." - use standard container (this is the default)
# + "B" - "Browse Directory"
# + "M" - "Music"
# + "V" - "Video"
# + "P" - "Pictures"
# if you specify "B" and client device is audio-only then "Music/Folders" will be used as root
#root_container=.
')
Bigpapacherry

Re: MiniDLNA not picking up new files

Postby kmihelich » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:51 am

MiniDLNA does have an issue that I've noticed when it comes to new files. If a file is moved in slowly, rather than instantly, it appears to be ignoring it likely because it's unable to identify what it is at that point in time. Because it uses inotify to get updates on changes (which sends notifications within a second), this is where I believe the issue to stem from.

What I mean by slowly is when it's copied over the network (sftp, smb, etc), or something like torrenting. I've noticed this behavior in both situations. What does work, however, is moving files in. For Linux, a move is instant, and thus MiniDLNA would see the entire file when it gets the signal that it came into its watched directory. In the case of using something like transmission, I have downloads go to a separate temporary directory while they're downloading, and when it's done they are moved into the main folder. It also works to transfer files somewhere else over the network, then move the whole lot in afterward.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Re: MiniDLNA not picking up new files

Postby Bigpapacherry » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:30 pm

I tried moving a file to a temp directory on the plug's hard drive, then into one of the scanned directories, but no luck. Is there a way to kick off a scan without having to rebuild the whole database? I wouldn't mind writing a script to kick off a new scan every so often.
Bigpapacherry

Return to User Questions