Stream from goflex with vlc

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Stream from goflex with vlc

Postby espressionist » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:03 pm

Hello...! i was wondering whether is it possible to stream movies from my goflex to my dreambox using vlc

i have installed vlc on my Arch Linux ARM install but when i try to stream, i get this warning lines (about 30 of them per sec :) )

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '[0xa6a48] main mux warning: late buffer for mux input (688203)
[0xb0010] stream_out_transcode stream out debug: late picture skipped (493226)')

and of course, the dreambox always tries to buffer, but nothing shows up (not even in a computer)

is it possible that the goflex is THAT slow....?

note that im transcoding the input files to MPEG2-TS cause (i think) this is the only way to stream to a dreambox
espressionist

Re: Stream from goflex with vlc

Postby kmihelich » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:26 pm

Transcoding on a plug computer isn't going to work, there's just not enough horsepower. The best solution would be to transcode the video elsewhere, and if possible just stream using DLNA. MiniDLNA is a good server program in our repos for streaming over DLNA.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby espressionist » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:42 pm

i was afraid of that answer... it took me more than 5-6 hours to set the dreambox up, but i never thought that a 1.2GHz cpu would not be enough to transcode...

anyway... the whole concept was to try to keep my machines turned-off but it looks like i cant avoid it.. :)

thank you for your answer...!
espressionist

Postby kmihelich » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:56 pm

It's not so much it's clock speed than the fact that the processors lack a floating point unit (FPU). Multimedia encoding/decoding is a heavy floating point operation, and these chips lack an FPU to handle those translations. Instead, it has to convert everything back and forth from integer to float, operating only on the integer values. This is a very slow process without an FPU.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby espressionist » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:19 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('kmihelich', 'I')t's not so much it's clock speed than the fact that the processors lack a floating point unit (FPU). Multimedia encoding/decoding is a heavy floating point operation, and these chips lack an FPU to handle those translations. Instead, it has to convert everything back and forth from integer to float, operating only on the integer values. This is a very slow process without an FPU.

Oh well, i should have thought that out before starting recompiling dreambox sources... :D

thanx for your answers guys..!
espressionist

Return to User Questions