OpenNTPD not syncing time

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

OpenNTPD not syncing time

Postby phireph0x » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:54 am

I'm running Arch Linux Arm on a TonidoPlug from a USB flash drive. I noticed issues starting bind, and in digging into it noticed the time was completely off, and the year was 1949. I thought I had openntpd installed, and it was, so I made sure it was running. I tried manually syncing with $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'ntpd -s'), but the time isn't being updated. I have the default ntp servers in my file, but tried changing to use a local server. Still nothing, for some reason it's not updating the time. Any ideas?
phireph0x

Re: OpenNTPD not syncing time

Postby pepedog » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:14 pm

I think there was a glitch with ntp servers yesterday, a freshly installed system didn't work, but does today
pepedog
Developer

Postby phireph0x » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:16 pm

OpenNTPD still isn't syncing for me, so I decided to just wipe out the flash drive and start over. Now time is syncing and everything is fine... not sure what the problem was, but thanks for the replies.

I had previously installed Arch Linux ARM a few months ago on a flash drive, and hadn't booted in awhile from my TonidoPlug. After booting recently I upgraded packages (had to upgrade from 2.6.39 to 3.1), and this is when I noticed the ntpd issues.
phireph0x

Postby phireph0x » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:02 pm

I rebooted into the TonidoPlug flash to copy some files, then booted back into ALARM, and OpenNTPD is once again no longer syncing!! The date on my TonidoPlug running ALARM is $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'Wed Jun 8 20:38:46 CDT 1932')
If I do a process list and search for ntp, I see:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '[root@alarm ~]# ps aux | grep ntp
ntp 663 0.0 0.1 3316 744 pts/0 S 20:38 0:00 /usr/sbin/ntpd -s
root 664 0.0 0.0 3316 216 ? Ss 20:38 0:00 /usr/sbin/ntpd -s
root 669 0.0 0.1 4384 856 pts/0 S+ 20:43 0:00 grep ntp
')
So there are processes attempting to sync but haven't completed. I can ping both pool.ntp.org and the local server I tried adding (ntp.okstate.edu), so it's not a network timeout. Browsing the logs didn't reveal anything interesting concerning ntpd/openntpd.
phireph0x

Postby phireph0x » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:18 am

Some additional info:

if I manually run OpenNTPD's ntpd, here's the response:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
[root@alarm ~]# ntpd -s -d
ntp engine ready
no reply received in time, skipping initial time setting')

I tried this a few times, each time changing the server in /etc/ntpd.conf. Still nothing.

Following the advice at the top of this page https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/OpenNTPD in the red section, I removed OpenNTPD and installed NTPd (Arch package name is ntp). Using the defaults, I started ntpd, and the time synced without issues.
phireph0x

Return to User Questions