USB Sound recommendation

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

USB Sound recommendation

Postby jca001 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:12 am

I have a pogo-E02 that I am using to do some home automation. I would like to add some sound bytes for such things as announcing a door is open or saying the outside temperature when it is below a certain degree. I have done searches and most things I find are dealing with playing music and such, but need it to just say phrases.

The speakers will be powered so the USB Sound device will not have to provide the porwer to drive them.

So what USB Sound device can you all recommend?

And what other packages need to be installed to use it?

I really do not want to download source and make changes or even just compile. I would rather use something that is already in a repository.
-----
jca001

Re: USB Sound recommendation

Postby ykmag » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:56 pm

I have one of these, works very well on my Sheeva,
http://www.alteclansing.com/ae/us/computer-speakers/orbit-usb-iml237clr/invt/iml237clr/&bklist=icat,3,shop,computerspeakers. But my guess is that any usb speaker would work out of the box.

You need alsa, depending on what software you are using for playback you might need other packages (pulseaudio, jack, alsa-oss).

I am using mpg123, works out of the box with alsa, I have also tried eSpeak and festival TTS (text to speach) works quite well with alsa.
ykmag

Return to User Questions