How do I mount a Arch Linux ARM volume on a Mac?

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

How do I mount a Arch Linux ARM volume on a Mac?

Postby HappyJoe » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:50 pm

I have 2 partitions on my Pogoplug-attached HDD: 1 Windows FAT32 and one HFS+. I want to mount them persistently in Finder and in W. Explorer but find 'smb://...' failed to work, samba not being part of the default PApps install (why?). 'afp://' for the HFS partition is also absent.

From an article/posting I understand that pacman must be used and more than 'samba' downloaded. What are the current versions of what files for use with the latest install?

Will this install be enough to find the device from any other smb-aware machine on the LAN?

After launching it, what do I do to ensure that it is launched at boot time?
HappyJoe

Re: How do I mount a Arch Linux ARM volume on a Mac?

Postby falker » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:47 pm

Arch Linux ARM is basically archlinux, and follows their philosophy: keep the amount of default packages at a bare minimum and let the user decide what to install.

Follow this guide:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Samba

Much of the stuff in the archlinux wiki can be directly applied to Arch Linux ARM, be aware that some packages may not be in the Arch Linux ARM repo and have to be build by yourself.
falker

Postby HappyJoe » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:42 am

Many thanks for the pointer which I read and then went ahead and installed samba.

My HDD was visible on the Terminal but not reachable from Cmd-K. I started losing the HDD and any flash drive I tried. Probably over-wrote (or the plug did) my HDD and two flash drives have died on me too... I didn't trust the flashes anyway. Unfortunately the Pogoplug then stayed orange/amber on restart even with no drives attached. Later it turned green but would not see attached drives even as 'Pogoplug'. Not a Arch Linux ARM problem...or is it, possibly? Maybe hamfist-related, too.

Is it worth flashing another, fresh, drive or might that be a bit dangerous?
HappyJoe

Postby falker » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:38 pm

I have had a couple of verbatim flash drives die on me too. Been using a supertalent flash drive for 3 months now without any problems.
falker

Postby gizn » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:52 am

Just been through this myself. The HFS+ volume must have Journalling turned off. You can do this by plugging it into your Mac and using Disk Tools, it won't effect the data but obviously is more sensitive to crashes :(. You could reformat on the pogoplug to a Ext3 volume though. I didn't as I wanted to be able to run Time Machine on the volume and be able to attach it directly to a Mac in the future for faster recovery.

(Later edit) Had a unexplained problem and the HFS+ volume went into Write only mode :(. Now reformatted Ext3 to see how that goes. The TM info is stored on a sparseimage so that's OK but I can't just attach the drive to a Mac.

To get the volumes showing up on the Macs I used Netatalk. Certainly much faster than Samba.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=518&p=3493&hilit=netatalk#p3493

More handy info
http://www.kremalicious.com/2008/06/ubu ... #netatalk2

The hosts.allow change is important as is 'options:usedots,upriv' in '/etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default'

My system is running well. Just remember as your have no journalling on the HFS+ volume(s) you'll need to unmount the drive before unplugging from the pogoplug or it'll get put in read only mode. If that happens you'll need to BU the drive and reformat.

On your Mac go to 'System Preferences/Accounts/Login Items' and select the volumes you want mounted at boot.

Hope that helps.
gizn

Postby HappyJoe » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:09 am

Many thanks for your informative and daunting reply. I am late responding because I lost heart when I bricked my PP after an ill-worded response from PP Support had me restart the device too early after uploading the firmware...

When I feel I have the energy to devote to the task, I'll make a serial lead (with my soldering skills, who am I kidding?) and try and revive the little PogoPoo.
HappyJoe

Return to User Questions