Help Samba Share 2nd partition

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Help Samba Share 2nd partition

Postby Bobvark » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:18 am

So I followed all the install steps to Linux, I had to create 2 partitions since I had a 1TB hard drive. Now I am trying to simply share the entire 2nd partition using Samba. Followed directions here http://Arch Linux ARM.com/index.php5?title=Application:Samba.

I tried
[Arch Linux ARM install]
path = /sda3
read only = no
public = yes
writable = yes
force user = root

I think I used cfdisk to create the extended partition, and it was sda3. So now I'm lost as to how to write the path and make it writable to anyone on the network.

I can see \\Arch Linux ARM install on my windows 7 but I get windows can not access \\Arch Linux ARM install\Arch Linux ARM install
thanks.
Bobvark

Re: Help Samba Share 2nd partition

Postby Ian » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:21 am

Your path has to point to a mounted volume, not a (partial and incorrect) device as you currently have.
Ian

Postby Bobvark » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:26 pm

Thanks, how would I go about mounting a volume? Sorry, I'm new to linux, so if you could give me a command I need to use to mount a volume and then know it's path.

Thanks.
Bobvark

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:58 pm

Assuming that the device is sda, the volume is 3 (there must be 3 partitions, this being the third), and that the directory /media/sda3 exists:

mount /dev/sda3 /media/sda3
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby Bobvark » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:28 pm

Thank you again. Unfortunately my school blocks many helpful websites that could help me out. Basically what I need to do is the equivalent in dos of
d:\
md media
then the path would be d:\media

from my understanding linux looks backwards the sda3 is the partition and media is the folder. Thanks again, if you have a helpful site with command line operations with folders and drive stuff, I think that is my biggest problem.

Thanks.
Bobvark

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:42 pm

At the command prompt, do an `ls` (same as `dir`):
#~ ls /media

If this does not show a `sda3`:
#~ mkdir /media/sda3

mount the drive there:
#~ mount /dev/sda3 /media/sda3

You'll then need to be sure that your smb.conf is changed to read:
path = /media/sda3
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby Bobvark » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:51 am

Thank you very much! your information combined with the info http://www.pogoplugged.com/article/12099/How-to-Partition-and-Format-a-USB-Drive-Directly-On-Your-Pogoplug/helped me get it up and running. Thank you.

Found the problem when creating the second partition, the step here only formatted the sda1. Just also needed to format the sd3 (still no idea where sda2 is)...
wget http://Arch Linux ARM.com/os/pogoplug/mke2fs
chmod 755 mke2fs
./mke2fs /dev/sda1
mkdir usb
mount /dev/sda1 usb

just changed the sda1 to sda3. then followed your directions to create a directory.

I just put all that info in for some other poor guy like me, or if I have to do it all over again.

Ok now my next question is that I can start Samba manually, but when I added samba to the bottom of the file (run and edit command) nano /etc/rc.conf nothing happens. so I also tried adding /etc/rc.d/samba start
to the bottom of the file and that slowed my ssh session to a crawl and did not work. Any ideas?

Finally I used the drive on another computer and added files to it. Now I can only boot to the default os and not the plug linux installed on the hard drive.

Thanks again,
Bobvark

Postby Bobvark » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:23 pm

Thank everyone for their help, however, after booting back into the normal pogo software and looking. I see that everything I've done was just to create folders in the /dev/ and media on the wrong partition. So now I'm thinking what If I want to attach another hard drive to my pogo, what would be the proper setup to have access to that?

Thanks.
Bobvark

Return to User Questions