Accessing Arch Linux ARM install via Internet, VPN?

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Accessing Arch Linux ARM install via Internet, VPN?

Postby ngsm13 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:31 pm

Hello,

I'm brand new to linux, but managed to get everything for Arch Linux ARM install setup on my DockStar. I've set up minidlna, and Samba for local share on my local network. Everything works correctly locally.

I've tried to research how to setup access via the internet, but I am confused on how to implement it with my Arch Linux ARM install. What I've gathered is I need to use a VPN? So, I'm looking for help on how to properly install and setup a VPN on my Arch Linux ARM install, and what software I would need on my Win7 laptop for VPN to access my Samba share via the internet.

I searched the forum, but the only thread that seemed helpful had a deadlink. Thanks for your help/input.
ngsm13

Re: Accessing Arch Linux ARM install via Internet, VPN?

Postby BinaryJay » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:57 pm

Just forward the relevant ports to the services you need to access to the IP of the Arch Linux ARM install in your router, set up a dynamic dns service if needed, and get to it via your public IP address. No need for a VPN to do this.
BinaryJay

Postby ngsm13 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:27 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('BinaryJay', 'J')ust forward the relevant ports to the services you need to access to the IP of the Arch Linux ARM install in your router, set up a dynamic dns service if needed, and get to it via your public IP address. No need for a VPN to do this.

Then, wouldn't it be accessible by anyone externally?
ngsm13

Postby ngsm13 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:57 pm

I have an idea of what you want me to do, but I don't know how to do it.

I'm brand new to this, any help on implementing would be much appreciated. Thanks!
ngsm13

Postby huhwhatwhome » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:58 pm

I have my dockstar setup where I can access it through the internet via VPN. Shoot me a pm if you need help setting it up.

-HWWM
huhwhatwhome

Postby DePingus » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:22 pm

Dont forget Arch Linux ARM install is based on Arch. Their wiki is a treasure trove of info for us.

Here is the Arch wiki article on setting up SSH
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SSH
You can skip the section about installing. Its already installed.
Also, this does NOT cover port forwarding in your router because all routers a different.
DePingus

Return to User Questions