Is Arch Linux ARM (or is it Arch Linux ARM install) right for me?

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Is Arch Linux ARM (or is it Arch Linux ARM install) right for me?

Postby floydbloke » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:07 am

My needs are simple, but so is my Linux knowledge.
I’m considering entering the world of plug-computing to run a server at home that needs to:
• Have NAS functionality – i.e. fileshares accessible from Windows PCs to anyone and everyone on the LAN (no need for user authentication)
• Run a Torrent client
• Share a printer – accessible from Windows PCs to anyone and everyone on the LAN
My knowledge of Linux is rather limited. I have done some command line stuff like creating and mounting a few volumes / shares, mostly just copy-typed step-by-step. Used to be pretty handy with DOS back in the day though and quite happy to ascend the learning curve.

I’ve been doing a fair bit of homework on this and each option below seems to have its pros and cons. With this in mind, would folk recommend:
• Sheevaplug dev-kit – implementing Arch Linux ARM (with, I guess, SAMBA, CUPS and Transmission) together with the aforementioned learning curve. Do the ones shipping currently still have power supply issues?
• Dockstar – as above, recognising the more limited hardware but I should be able to land it considerably cheaper.
• Tonidoplug – with its apparently rather cumbersome and heavy-footprint way to get a print server running on it (from what I have been able to find anyway) , and a whole lot of apps I don’t need, and still quite a bit to learn.
• Pogoplug – with no native torrent client, and again a whole lot of apps I don’t need
• Any others I should consider (GuruPlug, DreamPlug)?
Budget is a consideration, other than the Dockstar, each of the above seems to be about a $100 and looks like I’m stuck with a $40!!!! freight charge to get it shipped to New Zealand (note to self, buy some FedEx shares). I can’t really afford any more than $140.
floydbloke

Re: Is Arch Linux ARM (or is it Arch Linux ARM install) right for me?

Postby slycat » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:23 am

I'm sporting a pogoplug (sadly, a pro which is giving me horrible trouble since the updates V_V) and have never used any of the other devices. I live in the States so it was relatively simple for me to buy one (I work at an electronics retailer). I've only used Debian and a slight bit of slackware so you don't need MUCH knowledge of Linux/Arch to really get things running and I, too, only use my plug for torrenting, samba file sharing, (trying to run) cups, and (if it weren't for the nasty non-pro-friendly updates) minidlna for streaming to my xbox.

From the sounds of it though, it seems the dockstar is still a huge hit. If you can pick that up and save money I'm sure you can get everything you need up and running by just following the wikis or browsing the forums. Though, I've heard the Pink Pogoplug (v2) is incredibly simple to set up for even the most novice of modders.
Pogoplug Pro w/ Wireless User -> decomm.
Cubox-i4pro User
4TB eSATA HDD (8g/3700+ Sw/Storage)
Kodi / Transmission / Minidlna / Samba / Batch-audio-conversions / Lighttpd
------------------------------
Rollback Machine - Thanks to impatt
slycat

Postby floydbloke » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:39 am

Thanks slycat

Just in the last few minutes I've managed to source a Dockstar locally, at a reasonable price and I should get it early next week. I expect I could be back here soon with some elementary questions (but yes, I will do my own research first).
floydbloke

Postby BinaryJay » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:39 am

I have two Plug V2s... the Pro is kind of meh with it's limited ram and two slower cores vs one faster core (for plug purposes, in any case). Nevermind the fact that there is no straightforward way of getting Arch Linux ARM onto them yet. I only paid $50 for each of my PogoV2s.

Dockstar also suffers from low memory (and having an ugly form factor and losing more points in my book for having a wall wart), but dockstars used to be able to be found for dirt cheap at one point in the past.

I'm Canadian and I often complain about having to pay more for just about every product here but you guys in NZ/AUS really have it rough. I saw video games that cost $50 here were going for about $100 in Australia and the dollars are just about equal in value.
BinaryJay

Return to User Questions