Problems february Arch Linux ARM / Slow device

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Problems february Arch Linux ARM / Slow device

Postby viewer1974 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:23 pm

Hello to all,

After new installation to my Dockstar the device seems to be very slow. Before I have a menory stick with 2 GB.
MiniSD/USB Adapter I installed Webmin, Samba, cherokee, Proftpd ... and it runs good.(FAST)

NOw I decided to install new February Arch Linux ARM on a new 4 GB Sandisc Cruzer Device. Installation without problems. I installed the ntdp and upgrade everything. After that I installed webmin. If I connec over ssh to the device it stocks sometimes for secounds and than i can make the input. Also when I try to get access to webmin it is very slow.

Could anyone have the same problem or get a solution of this ?

next question: is there a possibily to get a copy from the 4GB Sandisc to a new device so then I can check if the device is to slow. I tried with ubuntu but I could not copy the partitions into another device. Iv anyone have a solution for that it woule be very fine.

Many thanks
viewer1974
viewer1974

Re: Problems february Arch Linux ARM / Slow device

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:10 pm

You should be able to plug the cruzer and another device into your ubuntu and do a cp -ar to copy all of the filesystem from 1 device to the other.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby viewer1974 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:21 pm

I tried it over the desktop of ubunto not in the terminal.

I try cp in terminal and reply to you.
viewer1974

Postby kmihelich » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:34 am

Remember when copying on a linux desktop that you're working with an ext filesystem, user permissions are still in effect. You will have to do a cp -a as root from one device to the other to maintain the appropriate permissions as root on the device, and in some cases be able to copy the files to begin with. Trying to copy as your regular user won't work as intended.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby viewer1974 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:27 am

Hello at all,

i try both copy with -ar and copy with -a.... some files could not be read.... so either I make a mistake or there is something wrong with the device or the file system.....

I think I have to build the system on the new device with editing everything... samba, webmin, mysql etc.

Do anyone have another idea ?

Bye
viewer1974
viewer1974

Postby BinaryJay » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:04 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('viewer1974', 'H')ello at all,

i try both copy with -ar and copy with -a.... some files could not be read.... so either I make a mistake or there is something wrong with the device or the file system.....

I think I have to build the system on the new device with editing everything... samba, webmin, mysql etc.

Do anyone have another idea ?

Bye
viewer1974

The ones that you're probably seeing aren't actually files, like everything in /dev, /proc etc. These are system files that aren't persisted.

If you're talking about other stuff, then pull the drive and plug into another linux box (or use a livecd) and fsck it.
BinaryJay

Postby kmihelich » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:07 am

Like I said above, be sure you're copying as root, not a normal user.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Return to User Questions