How do I install Arch directly to Asus Chromebook Flip SSD?

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

How do I install Arch directly to Asus Chromebook Flip SSD?

Postby Daviljoe193 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:24 pm

Title basically says all, I bought an Asus Chromebook Flip as my new low-end laptop, but I wanted to install Arch Linux ARM directly to the SSD. I'm fairly experienced with Arch Linux, and with Linux in general, but not with making it boot on ARM. I wanted to do install to the SSD for multiple reasons, mainly because the onboard SSD is going to be multitudes faster than a cheap Class 10 card. Plus, I'm certain that the internal SSD will have a much longer life than my cheap SD cards. I just need help getting the base install on it, since I don't know how to partition accordingly so the Chromebook boots to Arch Linux, again, ARM is an architecture I'm not overly familiar with. A short guide to install to the SSD would be appreciated, as all I can find is people saying that "you can install it to the SSD if you want", but there's no guide to how the SSD should be partitioned.
Daviljoe193

Re: How do I install Arch directly to Asus Chromebook Flip S

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:08 pm

The flip has an eMMC, not and SSD.

Second, you can't directly install to the media you are booted off. You need to do a base install onto an SD or USB, then install to the internal storage.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby Daviljoe193 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:53 pm

Sorry, didn't think of them being any different until now, and now I'm just a bit smarter. This doesn't answer how I would install to the eMMC, though, which would be heavily appreciated, specifically with partitioning, since I don't know what this little ARM laptop expects from the eMMC in order to boot.
Daviljoe193

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:32 pm

You repeat the process used exactly as in the instructions, just change the target device.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby Daviljoe193 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:12 pm

Thank you. I just have one more question, is there an easy way to use a kernel version newer than 3.14? Kernel 3.14 is absolutely ancient, and some of the hardware I use only got support in kernel 3.19 and newer, specifically my EasyCap.
Daviljoe193

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:41 pm

No, no easy way.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Return to User Questions