[ALPHA 2 - DEC 22] Arch Linux ARM + Gnome 3

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

Re: [OFFICIAL] [NATIVE] HP TouchPad

Postby Nolhian » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:15 pm

Wow, that's awesome news, great job !
Can't wait to have arch on my TouchPad !
Nolhian

Postby sailerboy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:27 pm

I vote for Enlightenment (E17). It's in the Arch community repository, and in theory, it should work on ARM, if it hasn't already been compiled for ArchLinuxARM. It's a fairly popular DE that's used in SHR, and it has a touch interface and a keyboard built in.
sailerboy

Enlightenment e17

Postby amenditman » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:57 am

Definitely need to go with e17. Lots of touch interface work already complete. Already ported to and running on ARM architecture. Nothing else is anywhere near it in appearance/function/economy of resources.

Edit - Also, been reading a bit about Debian base with LXDE on Archos touchscreen devices. They are running ARM processors but not necessarily the same as the Touchpad.
amenditman

Postby Varemenos » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:26 pm

I guess we could use e17 for now and then switch to another DE if its not what people wants/likes?
Varemenos

Postby amenditman » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:54 pm

I ordered the cables from Amazon. Be on board in a week or so.
amenditman

Postby amenditman » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:41 pm

e17 can be made to look like anything you want, that's one of it's best features. There are tons of videos at YouTube with cool stuff setup. Also, Bodhi Linux uses e17 by default and has a bunch of nice desktops.

You Tube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... l1.6.1l8l0

Bodhi Linux - http://www.bodhilinux.com/gallerydotw.php

I am in favor of LXDE as I have used it extensively and it is dead simple. The deal with Enlightenment is that is very different from anything else you have ever used and everything is customizable. (Many people think there are too many options) Doesn't make it bad, just a learning curve to get it looking awesome.
amenditman

Postby kmihelich » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:07 pm

My vote is on KDE Plasma Active :)
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby amenditman » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:12 am

Haven't looked at KDE Plasma Active yet. Is it resource hungry or have they managed to shrink it down a lot from the main desktop?

Alternative to setting up a default DE/WM, provide a minimal install with all the hardware functioning and base linux. You could then provide packages for a few touch friendly desktop GUI's. Allowing the end user to choose. I would be interested in working out the details for LXDE, Entightenment, and KDE Plasma Active. Be fun to see what is what with each.
amenditman

Postby kmihelich » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:33 am

Given that Plasma Active only released officially a little over a month ago, I'm sure there are more than a handful of improvements to be made yet. But they are designing for smaller devices.. tablets, phones, set-top boxes, etc., so they're working toward a minimal footprint. Though I'm also biased toward KDE (and heavily Qt biased), being a very long-time user on the desktop. Their technology that they're building on, Plasma, is incredibly powerful and useful. They do more than just make some random interface, they study the whole user interaction process and develop the experience around what they learn.

There are a few nice demos on youtube with Plasma Active running on tablets, definitely worth checking out.

Sorry if this sounded like a KDE PR speech ;)
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby dodgejcr » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:30 am

I get busy for a week and this! Nice work crimsonredmk and all others involved. Im still all for e17 as the DE/WM and yeah it looks horrid fresh out of the box but it can really be a beautiful OS. Ill get playing with this as fast as I can and hopefully I can help out with something as with the chroot. Again, awesome work!
dodgejcr

Next

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices