HOLD ON - WE'RE WORKING ON IT - !! READ BEFORE POSTING !!

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Re: HOLD ON - WE'RE WORKING ON IT

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:59 pm

Here's the deal.

I am the one person working on all of this, and I don't have a huge amount of free time as of late, plus my development OXNAS apparently got a visit from the phault faeries while I was on vacation, and no longer boots. At all. Data & compiles, etc are intact, so no worries.

Most of the issues we've seen are:
* no module for XX
* no kernel support for XX
* kernel is to old for XX

Yes, KERNEL problems. I know, and most of them are easy to fix, with just a few changes to the .config. I am waiting on other parts of the issue for the following:
* I have modified kexecboot & a slimmed down kernel to form a linux-as-bootloader usable system. It works, except for a glaring issue: kexec itself unpacks the kernel, and proceeds to ***** the bed. "starting new kernel..." (nothing)
* I don't want to be releasing kernel after kernel that needs to be written to NAND every time, because we're bound to frag someone at some point who is going to blame one person. Me.
* This reliance on a 2.6.31.6 kernel, and modifications to some key system programs, just to be viable is a huge pain in my *****, and everyone elses'.

If anyone has experience with kernel programming, and would like to work with me in putting together a working patch to add support to the 2.6.38/9+ tree, please contact us and let us know. I am rusty with this (last major work was 2.4.3x) and all my attempts so far have failed miserably after more than 15 hours of work.

So, assistance and/or patience is much appreciated.

And for the love of $diet(y|ies), I am not CE, or PLX, or anywhere in the manufacturer chain, don't bitch to me about this or that in performance or hardware arena. I make it work for you, that's all.

EDIT:
I am sticking this here, because it is a pain in the ***** for me to hunt it down all the time.
http://ppl.ug/Ze91Jqp1MEg/
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Re: HOLD ON - WE'RE WORKING ON IT - !! READ BEFORE POSTING !

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:53 am

With much appreciated help from redsquare and ftcodes, we now have *most* of the oxnas features ported to kernel version 3.1. We hope to have the work completed by the end of 2011.

/Edit
Well.. it's not production ready, and we're sorry about that. It's usable now, but there are severe SATA bottlenecks, and there is an issue with high memory pressure + high cpu load = lock. We're reworking platform support from the ground up.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Return to Community Supported