Amahi now supports 88F6281, including Dockstar

Talk about the project itself, the community, where we are and what we need. Great place to introduce yourself and make friends as well.

Amahi now supports 88F6281, including Dockstar

Postby bzboi » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:52 pm

http://blog.amahi.org/2010/08/11/amahi- ... ours-free/

I haven't tried it yet, but on paper it sounds pretty cool if you don't have a lot of Linux experience and just want to get the apps loaded and running. I'm definitely going to give it a try when I get the chance.

Plenty of great applications that are preconfigured to "just work".
http://www.amahi.org/apps
bzboi

Re: Amahi now supports 88F6281, including Dockstar

Postby bzboi » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:48 pm

I followed the guide at http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Amahi_Plug_Edition

I modified the script slightly since I already had a drive that was partitioned and formatted. I kicked the script off and with the installation code in hand, was up and running after 40 min from first downloading the script within Arch Linux ARM install, which is less time than I thought. Truth is I snuck out for a snack so it probably took less time.

My first impressions are that they really put a lot of work into this, and while I spotted the occassional typo, the whole install went relatively smoothly. The only gripe I have is that they definitely threw the Dockstar into the mix as an afterthought. Without loading ANY apps, I've already started using ~100MB of the swap space. I'm sure a lot more optimization could be done to reduce memory footprint, but once again, Amahi is probably targeted at newbies to Linux who just want to hit the ground running and start using all these cool apps. Amahi is based off Fedora 12, so I'm not sure if it has the same "bottom up" approach as Arch/Arch Linux ARM install.

Fortunately, I also have a Sheevaplug on order, so this wasn't wasted time, although I probably won't fool around with Amahi any further until I'm on the Sheevaplug. All the disk swaps really slow things down to a crawl, and I'm not savvy enough to figure out the memory optimzation issues.
bzboi

Re: Amahi now supports 88F6281, including Dockstar

Postby moonman » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:10 am

I did try amahi. It seems that on my PogoPlug Pink it's slow, after boot there're 3 MB or ram free and 3 MB swapfile used. There's no way in GUI to setup samba properly (requests password for samba shares). After disabling some "Servers" (DHCP, DNS, OpenVPN(it's not a router!!! why do i need these (ex. VPN)?) some things break. I wasn't able to turn DNS back on, it would crash.

Anyway, my conclusion is that I'm sticking with Arch Linux ARM. It's a much more stable and mature.
PS. The only thing I am waiting for is Xvfb.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Return to Community