[OFFICIAL] RaspberryPi: The 25$ PC

This forum is for topics specific to the Raspberry Pi and Arch Linux ARM

Re: [OFFICIAL] RaspberryPi: The 25$ PC

Postby 1lj4z1 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:03 pm

Haha I will wait for the public release, I am not rich. Well in the demonstrations which OS are they using? both sound and 1080p video works... I am considering making a minimal fast OS for the raspberry and I don't know where to base it from... ubuntu would be easier but no tools are available, on the other hand Debian might do it.
1lj4z1

Postby pepedog » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:11 pm

The sound is not via the Linux kernel, SOUND is not set
I think demos are via accelerated sound and video blobs.
pepedog
Developer

Postby andre » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:37 pm

Speaking about the video blob...
I remember reading about the BeagleBoard and it's closed source libraries being incompatible due they are soft-float compiled and the ArchLinux for the ARMv7 architecture is hard-float compiled.
But since the RaspBerry pi is an ARMv5, it uses the other respository. And I am wondering, how are these compiled? Can we expect simular issues when it comes to these libraries? ( http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/592 )
andre

Postby pepedog » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:09 pm

I think you overall feel of that blob is there will be no issues.
pepedog
Developer

Postby OrionFyre » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:50 pm

Just poking my head in here and saying 'sup.

I've been an avid Arch user for quite some time and i've been following the Pi project since their first blog post.

I currently administer upwards of 70 different computers for friends, family, and my own. All of which use Arch. I forced everyone to let me install linux or I would no longer fix their computers. and now... I no longer have to fix computers. :lol: Really the only problems I've had since setting up my administration has been issues related to differing hardware between the machines and the such (think ATI, nvidia, xorg and the like).

I'm particularly keen on the Raspberry Pi because such a cheap affordable device would allow me to substantially reduce my administration overhead (lower than it is already) and would perfectly cover what most of the machines are used for. i.e. browsing, youtube, email, and facebook. I am not in any particular rush to get things moving and I won't be buying one from the first batch, but in the end I can see myself getting a dozen of these guys running for fun and actual use such as to replace the 14 media center PC's which currently run XBMC. I most likely will hold off migrating the web browsing computers and such until an accelerated graphics driver arrives. But in discussing the matter with the computer owners all of them are extremely intrigued by the concept and expressed and interest in moving towards this platform if it meant reduced energy use and ease of administration on my end.

When the purchase restriction is lifted is most likely when I'll b placing an order for about a dozen to start and I will be more than willing to help here with the effort. I plan to stick with Arch and pacman since all my current scripts and self-written utilities will drop right in. I see mention of a possibility for building a dedicated repo and I would be willing to help with such effort if it is undertaken and the help is required.
OrionFyre

Postby WarheadsSE » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:17 pm

At this point, we're debating on it, and it is an option. The issue we see is that we can integrate the needed changes into the build system, but we don't actually have any of the devices to truly test our work (pepedog has one, and that about it as far as core developers).
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby pepedog » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:32 pm

It's been more of a curse being the only one. A lot of documentation has just been released.
If I told you it's not mentioned that-
if you build kernel with L2 cache on, and not in config file, no boot
if you build kernel without L2 cache on, and put it in config file, no boot
(there are 2 text files in /boot for options)
Anyway, midori starts in 5 seconds now, and lxde has problems.
I got an invite to launch event, 60 miles away, no date yet.
pepedog
Developer

Postby OrionFyre » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:49 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', 'A')t this point, we're debating on it, and it is an option. The issue we see is that we can integrate the needed changes into the build system, but we don't actually have any of the devices to truly test our work (pepedog has one, and that about it as far as core developers).

With only a handful of these out in the wild I was surprised one wound up in the hands of Arch as it is. Either way, once I get my hands on some I'd be happy to lend cycles to the cause if needed (CPU or brain, either or).
OrionFyre

Postby sironitomas » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:08 am

I'm sory, but what exactly is the state of Arch Linux ARM for the R-PI?

What is working and what is not?
sironitomas

Postby pepedog » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:31 pm

Works great, fbdev fine, no acceleration yet, no sound via alsa as no driver, openmax has to be used.
Arch rootfs made and will be available soon.
pepedog
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Raspberry Pi