For those who want to run x86 binaries on the plug

Talk about the project itself, the community, where we are and what we need. Great place to introduce yourself and make friends as well.

For those who want to run x86 binaries on the plug

Postby moonman » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:32 am

... presssure the qemu developers into fixing the bug here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/73 ... mments=all :)
Click on "this bug affects me", leave comments :)
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Re: For those who want to run x86 binaries on the plug

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:35 pm

Or, get the authors to make an ARM port ;)
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby moonman » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:16 pm

What do you mean by an arm port? it already runs on arm, but it is buggy. :)
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
moonman
Developer

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:27 pm

I mean get the BINARY author to make an ARM source/binary!
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby moonman » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:52 am

Well, I guess I could bring it up on the uTorrent forum for example, but they are really slow with updating even the x86/x64 version for linux. Actually what I had in mind was running qemu-usermode---> wine --> windows apps. For example I have magicjack which only has windows software (nothing even close to even linux x86 port) and a year ago magicjack did something with their servers so that we are forced to use their software now (it used to work with various softphones and voip boxes). It isn't a big deal, just would be cool to make it work.
moonman
Developer

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:21 pm

Is there something wrong with Transmission? You're talking about paying a 70% CPU tax here.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby kmihelich » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:36 pm

There are lots of VOIP services out there, and we have asterisk in the repo (though a bit dated now). You can also wire things up to go use Google Voice, which is pretty cool to see in action.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby moonman » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:48 pm

Nothing wrong with transmission (except that it doesn't work with one tracker with flexget, I get error: data lost). As to VoIp services, yes there are lots of different ones but none of them are $30 a year. :) I could probably get MJ Plus which is a standalone VOIP box, but it wouldn't be fun getting it to work then.
As I said, it's purely for fun and it isn't a big deal. I bet noone runs windows 98 in qemu which I installed for fun as well :D
moonman
Developer

Postby kmihelich » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:59 pm

Someone did win95 on a dockstar a while back.. just to do it.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby moonman » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:32 pm

You mean somebody besides me did that? :) I did it maybe a year ago with pictures on the forum here :)
moonman
Developer

Next

Return to Community