Biggest dork (or, what are you doing with your Plug)?

Talk about the project itself, the community, where we are and what we need. Great place to introduce yourself and make friends as well.

Re: Biggest dork (or, what are you doing with your Plug)?

Postby dockstarfan » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:53 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('nick761', ' ')......
Yeah, you can set up sane as a daemon and then connect to it on any machine on the network. You just need a sane client (I'm using SaneTwain on Windows) installed on the computer you want to scan on.

Sounds good. I will try it out. Thanks.
dockstarfan

Postby dockstarfan » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:08 pm

I installed cups. However, it does not support canon printers. Is there anyway I can make it work with Canon MP series?
dockstarfan

Postby gizn » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:24 pm

Running Netatalk for Time Machine backups. The lack of HFS+ with journalling is a pain as a crash of any form put the drive into write only mode.

Also installed Transmission, firefly and miniDLNA.

Still getting to grips with it but having some fun.
gizn

Postby dockstarfan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:48 pm

Eventually, I made Asterisk 1.8 on Debian/Dockstar. Gtalk works great.
I also installed vncserver successfully on Dockstar. For computers on the same home network, it works fine. However I cannot login from outside using ssh tunnel.
aerotoad: you mentioned before that you used vnc4server. I would like to try it (right now, I use the tightvnc version). Can you let me know how to install it. I would like to see if it will work over ssh. Thanks.
dockstarfan

Postby BinaryJay » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:08 pm

Most interesting thing I'm currently doing with my plug is running MPD and outputting to a Sound Blaster X-Fi USB which is connected to my HT receiver via toslink.

Harmony remote takes care of getting receiver on the right inputs and I manage my playlists using GMPC on various PCs around the house, or bitmpd on my Android device.

Originally wanted to set up a web interface for MPD but all of the ones I've researched that look decent are too heavy in that they use PHP and MySQL back ends and will likely be way too slow to be practically served by the plug.

It works great and sounds awesome. MPD clients provide a hell of a lot richer of an interface for playlist management than typical DLNA music clients such as the PS3 and certainly is a lot more energy efficient in not having to keep a display on other than the devices you're already using like your PC or Phone.

Plug CPU is too slow to use MPD to stream though, it can't keep up in transcoding at all. Need to use minidlna or mt-daapd to stream music from the plug to other devices effectively.

I would like to be able to at a bare minimum stop/start/change track in the current playlist via IR but so far I have not figured out what kind of IR receiver I could use with something like lirc, or what would be involved in making lirc talk to MPD. The IR receiver built into the X-Fi USB is not recognized by lirc at all.
BinaryJay

Postby dockstarfan » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:43 am

I saw a few people installed minidlna on Dockstar. Can someone let me know how to install minidlna or point me to the reference that I need. Thanks.
dockstarfan

Postby pepedog » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:51 am

I would use these, older versions have bugs
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'pacman -Uf http://plugboxlinux.org/arm/aur/minidlna-cvs-20110212-1-arm.pkg.tar.xz
or if you tv is a samsung
pacman -Uf http://plugboxlinux.org/arm/aur/minidlna-cvs-samsung-20110212-1-arm.pkg.tar.xz')
Then edit /etc/minidlna.conf
To start
/etc/rc.d/minidlna.conf

Dave
pepedog
Developer

Postby dockstarfan » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:27 pm

Thanks. I am using Debian so looks like there's no pre-compiled package support yet.
Edit: It is not available for apt-get install but there are precompiled deb package available. Since I bought a twonky 5.0 lincense some time ago, I installed twonky 5.15 for kirkwood and it works fine. I may try miniDLNA later.
dockstarfan

Postby nick761 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:53 pm

In addition to what I posted before, my DockStar is now a server for Google Cloud Print and Apple's AirPrint! Both my Chrome notebook and iPod touch print using my DockStar excellently. Maybe I'll post a how-to for both on the wiki later. :-)
nick761

Postby aendruk » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:06 am

Figure I should share my little project. The idea is to have a self-contained time-lapse enclosure:

Image ImageImage

Obviously it hasn't been running for very long yet, but I'm rather pleased with the outcome so far. The camera is controlled using gPhoto2.
aendruk

PreviousNext

Return to Community