Installation stopped after reboot and unable to SSH since

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Installation stopped after reboot and unable to SSH since

Postby karthikramani » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:27 am

Hi,

I recently tried to do this installation for the first time on my pogoplug pro device and ran into an issue right after the first reboot on step 12 of your instructions page (http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv6 ... provideov3). Ever since then I am unable to login back to the device using SSH and so far have tried nearly most of the possible solutions provided in this forum and have no luck so far.

The good news is however the device appears on the N/W everytime I tried it reboot it but I did manage to run some scripts during startup to capture netstat and ps outputs and I found out that ssh daemon never even attempted to start. Like mentioned on many other posts, my device starts up with the blinking GREEN LED for 15-20 secs and then it stops.

I even tried to configure a static ip and that too didnt resolve the issue. I also tried to use another flash usb stick with a fresh copy of the rootfs and that failed too.

I desperately need your help to resolve this issue or atleast revert my device back to factory defaults.

Thanks,
Karthik
karthikramani

Re: Installation stopped after reboot and unable to SSH sinc

Postby James » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:52 am

I am having the exact same issue to the T. Some help would be very much appreciated thanks.
James

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:11 pm

Alright, it looks like there might have been an issue with the uImage.pci not having the config quite right in the rootfs.

Download & extract these to your USB, in order:
- http://archlinuxarm.org/os/oxnas/ArchLi ... nas.tar.gz
- http://archlinuxarm.org/os/oxnas/update-oxnas.tar.gz

Copy the lib/modules/ from the update-oxnas folder to /lib/modules on the thumb drive (replacing the modules there)

This should let you boot enough to run the updater script that will fix the PCI kernel on the Pro.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby James » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:42 pm

Do I extract both files to the root of the already formatted USB . Or do I need to reformate it and only extract these two files. A step by step would be great. Of just elaborate a little more. My USB already has the file system tree on it.Thanks
James

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:40 pm

1 - reformat the drive
2 - extract the 2012.05 rootfs
3 - extract update-oxnas to root/
4 - copy & replace root/update-oxnas/lib/modules/ to lib/modules/
5 - Boot.
6 - login as root
7 - cd update-oxnas
9 - nano update-oxnas.sh
10 - edit the nand_write command to read uImage.pci instead of uImage.nopci (because you have a pro)
11 - ./update-oxnas.sh

12 - either wipe & extract the 2012.06 oxnas rootfs (skipping the package hiccups around hwids, filesystem, etc), or pacman -Syu and go the round-about.

This is essentially going around the fact that you have a kernel in NAND that doesn't have devtmpfs automounted by the kernel instead of initscripts. (yay :| ) Once you're up & logged in, you run the updater, fixing the NAND kernel problem. I apologize for that, it was late, and I was exhausted. I didn't realize I had the wrong non-automount pci kernel in the rootfs.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby karthikramani » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:23 am

Thank you very much WarheadsSE. That did the trick!!

I am now able to SSH into my pro and was able to run the update-kernel.sh without any major issues. The only additional step I had to do before executing the update-kernel.sh script was to restore the /usr/local/cloudengines folder by manually mounting the nand.

Now I am off to exploring all the features that could be enabled on my device.

Thank you once again. You The Best!!!!

Regards,
Karthik
karthikramani

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:31 am

I will even show you how to restore my.pogoplug.com if you ask nicely ;)
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby James » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:30 am

Thank you for your help. I did the update and received a warning
Depmod...
WARNING: could not open /lib/modules/2.6.31.6_SMP_820/modules.builtin: No such file or directory
I followed the instructions to the T. My box is working now. Would this cause me any issues later?
James

Postby ishareit » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:37 am

Thanks!!

I wasted countless hours trying to troubleshoot the LED that blinks and then turns off. The following instructions worked beautifully. I ended up wiping and extracting 2012.06 and it has been working great!

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', '1') - reformat the drive
2 - extract the 2012.05 rootfs
3 - extract update-oxnas to root/
4 - copy & replace root/update-oxnas/lib/modules/ to lib/modules/
5 - Boot.
6 - login as root
7 - cd update-oxnas
9 - nano update-oxnas.sh
10 - edit the nand_write command to read uImage.pci instead of uImage.nopci (because you have a pro)
11 - ./update-oxnas.sh

12 - either wipe & extract the 2012.06 oxnas rootfs (skipping the package hiccups around hwids, filesystem, etc), or pacman -Syu and go the round-about.

This is essentially going around the fact that you have a kernel in NAND that doesn't have devtmpfs automounted by the kernel instead of initscripts. (yay :| ) Once you're up & logged in, you run the updater, fixing the NAND kernel problem. I apologize for that, it was late, and I was exhausted. I didn't realize I had the wrong non-automount pci kernel in the rootfs.
ishareit

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:19 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('James', 'T')hank you for your help. I did the update and received a warning
Depmod...
WARNING: could not open /lib/modules/2.6.31.6_SMP_820/modules.builtin: No such file or directory
I followed the instructions to the T. My box is working now. Would this cause me any issues later?

It's completely ignorable :)
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Next

Return to Community Supported