DockStar JTAG

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Re: DockStar JTAG

Postby jtagfun » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:17 am

I'm very impressed by your writeup. Recovering from completely erase NAND is original work and will help many others.
As far as I know, none has been able to recover original env, mtd1 and mtd2 after they are altered or erased. Have you tried to recover them?
jtagfun

Postby firestormv1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:49 am

@jtagfun. Thank you for your kind words, I've received a lot of positive feedback so far and it's only been published for a few hours.

I haven't yet tried recovering the environment variables yet but I do have two unmodified dockstars to work with. Unfortunately I erased the entire NAND accidentally which was what suddenly compelled me to learn JTAG recovery. :P

I have been doing some research on using nanddump and/or dd (with special parameters, think it needs to be "padded" by 512 bytes or something?) On "transplanting" a live dockstar's NAND to my now resurrected dockstar and see what all is involved and I'm sure that recovering ENVs will be part of it.

Without trying it right this sec, I know for sure that some things that will need to be set in environment variables will be things like MAC address, cesvcid (that long serial number on the bottom) and initial IP address (169.254.x.x)(APIPA)

Also, something LOLworthy, since I have three of them now, I'm debating on calling them Moe, Larry and Curly or Huey, Dewey and Louie.
firestormv1

Postby bzboi » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:21 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('jtagfun', 'I')'m very impressed by your writeup. Recovering from completely erase NAND is original work and will help many others.
As far as I know, none has been able to recover original env, mtd1 and mtd2 after they are altered or erased. Have you tried to recover them?

@jtagfun

The default env settings can be found at http://Arch Linux ARM.com/static/docs/dockstar-uboot-env . You will have to populate the parameters specific to your Dockstar, but they are available on the label on the bottom of the Dockstar case.

Once you've restored mtd0, mtd1 and mtd2 can be restored using http://Arch Linux ARM.com/index.php5?title=Ha ... Reflashing . I have successfully restored all 3 onto my erased flash and am able to log into my Pogoplug account.

HTH!
bzboi

Postby jtagfun » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:38 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('bzboi', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('jtagfun', 'I')'m very impressed by your writeup. Recovering from completely erase NAND is original work and will help many others.

@jtagfun

The default env settings can be found at http://Arch Linux ARM.com/static/docs/dockstar-uboot-env . You will have to populate the parameters specific to your Dockstar, but they are available on the label on the bottom of the Dockstar case.

Once you've restored mtd0, mtd1 and mtd2 can be restored using http://Arch Linux ARM.com/index.php5?title=Ha ... Reflashing . I have successfully restored all 3 onto my erased flash and am able to log into my Pogoplug account.

HTH!

bzboi,
Those links are very useful, I got the impressions from the following link:

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=25603&p=1

and some other links.
jtagfun

Postby bzboi » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:19 am

No prob, I actually got it working the Monday after I posted the Wiki but forgot to make a post about it.
bzboi

Postby jtagfun » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:43 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('bzboi', '
')

For some reasons, I could not have it working.

After I entered:

tftp 0x1000000 ce_ramdisk_v2.0b.img

I got size of 14534144 (0xddc600). The link says: transfer-size -- Should be 11770380.

After I entered

setenv bootargs $(console) root=/dev/mtdblock2 initrd=0x1000000,0xddc600
bootm 0x800000

I got

Uncompressing Linux.............................................................
............................................................... done, booting the kernel.

and Dockstar hangs.
jtagfun

Postby bzboi » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:55 am

I do recall the instructions were slightly off, but I was so excited I got it working that I forgot to fix that particular Wiki entry. (I just went back in and fixed it) I used the compressed rootfs image that I downloaded directly without extracting. That should fix it.
bzboi

Postby jtagfun » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:44 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('bzboi', 'I') do recall the instructions were slightly off, but I was so excited I got it working that I forgot to fix that particular Wiki entry. (I just went back in and fixed it) I used the compressed rootfs image that I downloaded directly without extracting. That should fix it.

I noticed you have updated wiki with "ce_ramdisk_v2.0b.img.gz", now the size is correct.

I tried compressed and uncompressed ramdisk v1.2, v2.0a, V2.0b but still got the same error. I did reset env every time and fill in parameters according to wiki.

Kernel loading was fine, something wrong with loading root_fs.
jtagfun

Postby bzboi » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:12 pm

It's been a while since I got it working and I don't have my dockstar this week so I can't verify the steps. Maybe someone else who was successful can jump in. I'm going by memory of how I think the Wiki might have differed compared to what I did.

Did you copy the commands verbatim or did you adjust them for your particular setup like exact file sizes, etc?

Did you erase the nand in mtd2 first?

Which kernel are you using? Did you make sure that the kernel and rootfs match? eg ce_kernel_v2.0.img with ce_ramdisk_v2.0b.img.gz?

Most importantly, are you sure you're using the matching stock uBoot eg ce_uboot_v2.0.bin for the previous two files? These instructions were written assuming stock Dockstar images so if you're using Jeff's uBoot for example, you need to chain-boot through the stock uBoot in mtd2 as per Jeff's script, so it becomes a chicken and egg problem and I'm not sure how that will work. You might also have to set the arcNumber and mainlineLinux settings appropriately. (Not sure since I use the stock uBoot.)

My suggestion is to try using STOCK uBoot/kernel/rootfs. Once you get it working, you can easily make the other changes.

I didn't write that particular Wiki, so I can only guess that the instructions were originally working and got modified to a point that it didn't over time. It suggests that we might need some formal review process for Wiki entries such that at least 2 people must agree before a Wiki entry is made "official".
bzboi

Postby jtagfun » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:28 pm

bzboi,
Thanks for the suggestions.
I did have original Dockstar Uboot.
There is only one version of kernel for Dockstar from http://Arch Linux ARM.com/os/pogoplug/ce_mirror/
All links to download.pogoplug.com/prod/ have been broken.

Strange thing is:
The very first time when I tried the steps in wiki with decompressed root-fs, it worked.
When I re-tried the steps, they do not work any more. I did try to erase everything except u-boot, but still got the same problem when loading root-fs.

There might be more entries of env need to be added (e.g. some mtd related) after resetenv.
jtagfun

PreviousNext

Return to Marvell Kirkwood