NFS on Pogo and Windows

Guides written by the community, for the community, and only guides!

Re: NFS on Pogo and Windows

Postby bodhi » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:06 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Hypnosis4U2NV', 'I') would love to know why I am having these issues all of a sudden as SAMBA did work for me very well in the past.. I think I have to narrow it down to probably the main switch on my home network (TrendNET TEG-S80G) although I can't be too sure..

I would bet you a beer that the WDTV is the problem :D they (WDTV, GoFlexTV, ... ) have buggy FW and use some commercial non-free stuff. Ususally you just reset it or reflash the FW and the problem go away.
bodhi

Postby Hypnosis4U2NV » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:26 pm

I'm running B-Rads WDLXTV custom firmware.. Same issues with stock firmware..
Hypnosis4U2NV

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:01 pm

I have no issue with *any* of my devices with samba serving to my WDTV Live .. and I never power it off ..
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby sambul13 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:10 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Hypnosis4U2NV', 'I')'m running B-Rads WDLXTV custom firmware.. Same issues with stock firmware..
Did you finish NFS setup? On what devices? If still having same issue with NFS, try defragmenting your entire movie collection with a good defrag tool. We can discuss Samba, and compare NFS vs Samba performance and WD products in a separate thread. :)
sambul13

Postby Hypnosis4U2NV » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:34 pm

I am currently testing auto-mount of my drives using UUID in the fstab configuration.. I will probably send some PM's regarding setting up NFS when I get done, if you don't mind..
Hypnosis4U2NV

Postby sambul13 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:05 pm

If you post your NFS config questions here, more people can help you. Re-read the Guide first, and try to follow step-by-step. Though, since you try setting up NFS btw 2 Linux flavors, NFS Client setup will differ, so look through ArchLinux NFS Wiki too. Read more on choosing a proper file system for your media drive. If your playback keeps jumping, check with Htop no other processes (like Webmin) periodically top load Plug's CPU.

Keep in mind, udev-automount rules are used when you hook up a drive to Pogo after boot, while fstab rules are used during Pogo boot for all hooked drives, and when manually mounting a file system (FS) after its manual dismount. The rules are comprised of FS specific + common to all FSs mount options, so look at udev and fstab files and wiki to understand how rules work.
sambul13

Postby sethjvm » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:56 pm

I don't know if you are still checking the boards but I have followed the directions in the first post to set up a NFS server on my popoplug pro and seem to have hit a wall. I was able to share files successfully using NFSv3 directions on the archlinux wiki.

I can get everything set up and running but if I have to reboot, the only way that I can get the files to share is to manually run $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'mount -a')
I can share files this way but it would sure be nice if I could have it work automatically at boot.

Here's the daemons line in my /etc/rc.conf

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'DAEMONS=(set-oxnas-mac !hwclock syslog-ng network crond sshd openntpd sabnzbd sickbeard samba rpcbind nfs-common @netfs nfs-server minidlna transmissiond)')
Pogo Plug Pro with ALARM SATA rootfs
success: wireless, samba, sabnzbd, sickbeard, transmission, lamp with Gallery3 and newznab+, rsync server, tor
still trying: avahi, minidlna
up next: asterisk, openvpn, proxy server of some sort
gave up: nfs and lvm
sethjvm

Postby sethjvm » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:20 pm

I guess I try adding $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'mount -a') to /etc/rc.local but that seems inelegant compared fixing whatever is causing the /etc/fstab entries not to mount at boot.

edit: Well that did not work.
edit2: Yes it did.
Last edited by sethjvm on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
success: wireless, samba, sabnzbd, sickbeard, transmission, lamp with Gallery3 and newznab+, rsync server, tor
sethjvm

Postby sambul13 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:59 pm

What OS version are you running? Did you update recently? Go through the Guide again.

NEWS

Updated the NFS Guide to reflect ArchLinux ARM move from using initscripts to systemd in latest releases. If one doesn't want to update your OS, continue using rc.conf based NFS daemons autostart at boot. But keep in mind, all apps in Archlinux depositories you may want to install later are now being converted to using systemd services instead of daemons supported by initscrips, so you may not be able to install and use them in older system.
sambul13

Postby sethjvm » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:27 pm

Running a fully -Syu updated system on a SATA drive attached to a Pogoplug Pro.

uname -a says $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'Linux alarm 2.6.31.6_SMP_820 #7 SMP Thu Jun 14 20:31:06 CDT 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux
')

I unmounted everything deleted all the folders I created as well as the folders in the /media folder and started again. I still have to have the "mount -a" command in /etc/rc.local but at least it is working now with the daemon entries in rc.conf. I tried the systemd method by it complained about a dbus.services error so I stuck with rc.conf.

It is frustrating that between your instructions, the instructions at wiki.archlinux.org and some instructions from xbmc.org that I can't get this working without the "mount -a" command.
sethjvm

PreviousNext

Return to Community Guides