Biggest dork (or, what are you doing with your Plug)?

Talk about the project itself, the community, where we are and what we need. Great place to introduce yourself and make friends as well.

Re: Biggest dork (or, what are you doing with your Plug)?

Postby dockstarfan » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:51 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('aerotoad', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('dockstarfan', 'C')an you let me know how to set up the webcam server or point me to some published results? Thanks.

dockstarfan,

I'm using the motion package from Debian (apt-get install motion), and this crummy webcam (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25948). I used the Motion website for help in setting up motion (http://www.lavrsen.dk/foswiki/bin/view/Motion/ConfigFileOptions). This old post on Linux.com may be useful as well: http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/114118
Chrome isn't compiled for ARM, but firefox is (under Debian Lenny). Do you want to use it as a remote (headless) VNC server? You could install a vncserver package (several of them out there, I'm using vnc4server), and could connect to it from a laptop or other machine on your network. I did the opposite--used the dockstar as a dumb terminal--a vncviewer or rdesktop interface for another machine on my network. Either VNC or X forwarding will let you run Firefox or Chrome remotely. Depending on your usb video card resolution and network speed, you can have a usable remote browser/desktop.

There are many references for VNC server setup. The simplest is to install a vncserver, start it (may need to provide a password), and you can view the interface remotely with a vncviewer at the dockstar's IP address and the vnc port, something like:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'vncviewer 192.168.1.15:5900')

From the dockstar, you can launch applications in that virtual desktop, with "DISPLAY=dockstar:1 xterm", where the display variable points to whatever the vncserver is using.

Hope that helps,
-aerotoad

Hi, aerotoad:
Thank you for your reply. It really helps.
I tried VNC by installing gnome desktop. It works but very slow. Which desktop are you using? As for VNC server, somehow vnc4server does not work. Apt-get install vnc4server always told me "Package vnc4server has no installation candidate." Not sure why but tightvncserver worked. For web browser, I would like to see if it work on the remote desk top but not sure why I need it yet. Unless I can make the vnc remote desktop faster, I don't think I have any real use it it, yet. Right now, I would like to concentrate on the webcam server.
I connected a Creative Lab's low end webcam to it. lsusb detects but there was no /dev/video0. Does that mean I need driver for this device? I will try to read the references that you pointed out and do more experiments. I may need to ask you for more help if have any issues. Hope it will be o.k. with you. I would really appreciate that.
BTW, are you using Lenny or Squeeze?
dockstarfan

Postby dockstarfan » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:07 pm

aerotoad:
I made motion and webcam worked on my Dockstar Squeeze installation, which comes with the webcam drivers. However, Squeeze has no webcam-server support. On the other hand, my Lenny set can install webcam-server but has no webcam drivers. Looks like you are using Lenny with webcam drivers. Can you let me know how it can be done? Thanks.
dockstarfan

Postby dockstarfan » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:29 pm

Now I can use webcam on Dockstar Debian-Squeeze using Motion and streaming using what described in http://www.rudiswiki.de/wiki/DockStarWe ... hlight=%28\bCategoryDockStar\b%29. I have also implemented wifi connection using the information in http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,563. With the ethernet cable plugged in, it works fine. However, it cannot start wlan without the cable. This defeats the whole purpose. I am wondering if anyone have successful experience with Dockstar boot and connect through wifi without wired ethernet connected. If you do, please share. It will be a big help.
dockstarfan

Postby aerotoad » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:40 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('dockstarfan', 'N')ow I can use webcam on Dockstar Debian-Squeeze using Motion and streaming using what described in http://www.rudiswiki.de/wiki/DockStarWe ... hlight=%28\bCategoryDockStar\b%29. I have also implemented wifi connection using the information in http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,563. With the ethernet cable plugged in, it works fine. However, it cannot start wlan without the cable. This defeats the whole purpose. I am wondering if anyone have successful experience with Dockstar boot and connect through wifi without wired ethernet connected. If you do, please share. It will be a big help.

Dockstar fan, I'm able to boot without ethernet, and connect to a wireless network via usb. For me, editing /etc/network/interfaces to add my wireless device, ap, and password works. When the system comes up, the card attaches to my network, gets an IP address, runs ntpdate, etc. Note this is on a Debian Lenny dockstar.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid ap1
wpa-psk password1')
This setup allows me to boot with only the USB wifi dongle (in my case, a Zydas 802.11g card).
aerotoad

Postby dockstarfan » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:22 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('aerotoad', '
')....................
Dockstar fan, I'm able to boot without ethernet, and connect to a wireless network via usb. For me, editing /etc/network/interfaces to add my wireless device, ap, and password works. When the system comes up, the card attaches to my network, gets an IP address, runs ntpdate, etc. Note this is on a Debian Lenny dockstar.

aerotoad:
Thank you for your reply. I was using Squeeze. It has no problem to detect the zd1211 USB wifi USB adapter. I installed the driver by simply copy the files into the directory /lib/firmware/zd1211/ directory. The problem is that it cannot start the wlan0 without the ethernet. I tried the Lenny but the method of installation driver for Squeeze does not work. I cannot start wlan0 by simply to ifup wlan0 as I did in Squeeze. When I do hwinfo, it says "zd1211rw is not active". When I do modprobe zd1211rw, it says " Could not open 'kernel/drivers/net/wireless/zd1211rw/zd1211rw.ko'" Looks like one need to recompile the kernel to install the driver. Is that what you did? Is there a simple way to install the USB wifi driver? Hope you can give me more guidance.
The reason I stuck with Squeeze previously was I don't know how to install the USB webcam (v4l compatible) driver . Can you also tell me how to do that? I googled around but cannot find a simple way to accomplish that. I have made webcam on Squeeze but now the wifi issue comes again.
Looks like I really need some help.
dockstarfan

Postby Rudolf » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:44 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('dockstarfan', '
')I have made webcam on Squeeze but now the wifi issue comes again.
Looks like I really need some help.

Hello dockstarfan,

I brought the automatic switching LAN/WLAN to work, with the help of Debian package wicd. It was not so easy, therefore I have documented the installation and setup on my web page:
http://www.rudiswiki.de/wiki/DockStarWLAN

Regards, Rudolf
Rudolf

Postby pepedog » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:27 am

Hi Rudolf.
I liked wicd-curses to connect wirless but found (like you) it disconnects eth0.
I stopped this by editing /etc/wicd/manager-settings.conf to make wired_connect_mode = 0
I think you can use wicd to control eth0, but have to have it configured there.
Your wiki is very good.
You might want to get the right country set (are you in Germany?) by installing wireless-regdom and crda (look for file wireless-regdom which for Arch Linux ARM is in /etc/conf.d/wireless-regdom)

Dave
pepedog
Developer

Postby dockstarfan » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:30 pm

O.K. eventually I made wlan0 working. The problem was that the .ko file exist but in the directory that modprobe does not know. I manually set the directory structure and pointed modprobe to it and it works. I still need to figure out how to make it can automatically start wlan0. Then I will try to see if wlan0 can start without ethernet connected.
The wicd approach should be fine but it a little bit tedious to set so many conf files.
(Edit, Sept. 23):
I found you need to do a depmod first to generate a file to point to various existing modules. Then modprobe will be able to find them. After that wlan0 just works and has no problem to start without ethernet cable as aerotoad said. It is much simpler than various fixes needed for Squeeze. Looks like Lenny is indeed more stable.
dockstarfan

Postby LaTristesse » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:01 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('aerotoad', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('LaTristesse', '
')
Looks like it may be a displayink product as well (http://www.displaylink.com/product_archive.html), so the SyncMaster monitor probably uses the udlfb driver as well. If you plug in the monitor, does the kernel load "udlfb", and does the screen turn green? If so, you're in business. You might need to load udlfb manually
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'modprobe -v udlfb')

Can you post the output of lsub with the monitor plugged in?

Here's the output:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'Bus 001 Device 011: ID 045e:0039 Microsoft Corp. IntelliMouse Optical
Bus 001 Device 010: ID 17e9:0100 Newnham Research
Bus 001 Device 009: ID 0424:2514 Standard Microsystems Corp. USB 2.0 Hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 14cd:125b Super Top
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0cf3:1002 Atheros Communications, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bc2:2101 Seagate RSS LLC
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub')

The monitor should be "Bus 001 Device 010: ID 17e9:0100 Newnham Research". I'm getting a green screen. Any further suggestions?

EDIT:

Also see for the same topic: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25&p=2251#p2251
LaTristesse

Postby aerotoad » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:37 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('LaTristesse', '
')The monitor should be "Bus 001 Device 010: ID 17e9:0100 Newnham Research". I'm getting a green screen. Any further suggestions?

EDIT:

Also see for the same topic: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25&p=2251#p2251

The green screen (in my experience) is a good sign! You should have a framebuffer device (ie /dev/fb0). You can use applications on the buffer if you want (fbterm, fbi, etc.), or get an X11 server running using it. I posted an xorg.conf that works for me--it's pretty sparse. Then get X started with "startx". I'm using openbox as a window manager and xterm for terminal.
aerotoad

PreviousNext

Return to Community