Setting Up GoFlex Net

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Re: Setting Up GoFlex Net

Postby sambul13 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:14 am

Kurlon

I tested your suggestion fw-setenv usb_scan_1 usb=0:1 dev=sdb1, and it does work as predicted:

- when USB and SATA both hooked on, GFN boots from USB (not SATA) ++
- when SATA is disconnected, GFN hangs, unless the var is reverted beforehand or afterwards in Netconsole & Serial

Thanks again, its the 1st time a working solution was suggested for this problem with ArchLinux setup unchanged. Its simpler than adding uInitrd, but risky for an average user long term. The question now is, is that possible to add some flexibility here by further modding the Uboot env to make sure it can also boot from USB when SATA is disconnected without changing Uboot env?
sambul13

Postby bodhi » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:50 am

@pepedog,

Something similar to the way rescue system was detected and booted (ext2load usb 0:1 0x1700000 /rescueme 1) in Jeff/Davy's UBoot?
ext2load usb 0:1 0x1700000 /boot/uImage 1

We can replace "usb 0:1" with a scan list.
bodhi

Postby sambul13 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:29 pm

I wonder, if the Uboot USB scan list is applicable to GFN having only one USB port? Or, it also covers USB Hub ports?

I don't know Uboot programming syntax, but would consider the following test based on one time user set priority for boot from USB or SATA drive if present and bootable, otherwise from Rescue System if any:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'z=[0,1] # user sets once SATA or USB boot priority
x=0, y=0
IF z=1
sata=0:1 -> IF present x=1 -> IF bootable sata_root=/dev/sda1, GOTO sata_boot
sata=1:1 -> IF present y=1 -> IF bootable sata_root=/dev/sdb1, GOTO sata_boot
FI
usb=0:1 -> IF NOT present OR NOT bootable GOTO rescue_boot
IF x+y=2 -> usb_root=/dev/sdc1, ELSE IF x+y=1 -> usb_root=/dev/sdb1, ELSE usb_root=/dev/sda1
usb_boot ......
sata_boot......
rescue_boot......')
Again, not sure if check USB=0:1 --->3:1 is applicable to GFN with a single USB port.
Last edited by sambul13 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sambul13

Postby moonman » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:47 pm

wow! If you only did a bit of research you would find out that there is no easy way to test again sata drive presence and that your pseudo-code makes absolutely no sense. The solution is to actually create an initrd. I am sure you can google it because that's about the only thing you can do. Don't forget to create a 1000 word how-to about it describing how to use 2 commands.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby sambul13 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:16 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('moonman', 'T')he solution is to actually create an initrd.
I'm glad you finally learned it from this thread. Hope you can do a bit more learning on the subject, but wouldn't really pay attention to any of your claims anyway. :D
sambul13

Postby Kurlon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:18 pm

Note, he said YOU can setup an initrd, ALARM will not be switching to an initrd for the normal environment.
Kurlon

Postby sambul13 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:29 pm

There are hundreds of threads on the web, were people asking for the solution to the issue described here. Most of them are not programmers, just use these devices for fan of streaming media and such. This bug has nothing to do with me personally, I'm just another messenger, so its not smart to personalize technical discussions. Yet the trick is invoked every time instead of implementing a common solution. So I'm not going to keep it up - the popularity of this forum should be based on solutions offered, not just picking on others. :lol:
sambul13

Postby Kurlon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:44 pm

And as noted in those threads, there are lots of ways of dealing with the situation, with associated risks as well. Those are left to the end user to decide on. ALARM isn't meant to be the answer to all questions at once, it's meant to be a solid starting point from which end users can define their own path, and it succeeds there perfectly.

One other thing I think should be noted, this project is the result of the work of a small group of people based purely on their interest in the idea. ALARM is what they want it to be, and nothing more. Popularity contests and mob rule do not dictate their desires, you don't get a vote in the design. If you want to see something done differently, DO IT. If the people in charge like it, they'll adopt it, if not, it's their choice. Trying to use forums as a bully pulpit to force a direction change isn't helping anyone.
Kurlon

Postby sambul13 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:56 pm

Can you suggest how to check for SATA drive presence in Uboot env? ;)
Last edited by sambul13 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.
sambul13

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:27 pm

Sure: Ask @ Doozan's forum.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Marvell Kirkwood