[Solved] Class 10 Kingston SD card - Login doesn't show

This forum is for topics specific to the Raspberry Pi and Arch Linux ARM

[Solved] Class 10 Kingston SD card - Login doesn't show

Postby harroxelas » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:02 pm

Hi all,

I'm a one year Arch Linux user so after getting my RPI, nothing more natural than running Arch Linux ARM on it. Anyway, I managed to get everything working on a "brandless cheap" Class 4 2GB SD card. It boots fine, installed everything I needed on it, it's all working great (fluxbox, xbmc, xmms, dwb and uzbl, cwiid, etc.).

Now I ordered a Kingston 16GB Class 10 (SD10V) and I tried two things:

1) dd'ed an image of my current ALARM setup (the "brandless cheap" SD card) to my new Kingston card;
2) dd'ed the original "archlinux-hf-2012-09-18.img" to the new Kingston card.

Both got me the same result: the system boots and loads a lot of services but after reaching systemd's message "Login Service Started", the prompt just blinks and I never get the login prompt. This occurs on both cases, with the original ALARM image and with an image from my "brandless cheap" SD card.

I tried with all peripherals connected (keyboard an mouse), with just the keyboard, with none, with and without the ethernet cable, etc. Probably it's not my power source (motorola charger, 5V/850mA).

Can anyone point me to the right direction on how to solve this?

TLDR: Using a Kingston C10 card I can't get to the login prompt, even though I can do it using a usual C4 card. How can I solve this?
Last edited by harroxelas on Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harroxelas

Re: Class 10 Kingston SD card - Login doesn't show

Postby pepedog » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:31 pm

Got access to a pc with Linux? You could manually create the card and copy data
example if card is sdb
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'parted -s /dev/sdb mklabel msdos
parted -s /dev/sdb unit cyl mkpart primary fat32 -- 0 16
parted -s /dev/sdb set 1 boot on
parted -s /dev/sdb unit cyl mkpart primary ext2 -- 16 -2
mkfs.vfat /dev/sdb1
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdb2 ')
pepedog
Developer

Postby harroxelas » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:02 pm

pepedog, thanks for the reply. Did what you suggested and dd'ed the original ALARM image (archlinux-hf-2012-09-18.img) but I got the same result, after Login Service is started the login prompt doesn't appear.

I thought it might be a card compatibility thing but it prolly is not, since the system loads, for the most part anyway.
harroxelas

Postby pepedog » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:08 pm

Forget dd, if you followed the parted/format directions, dd overwrote it all
Follow what I showed and mount working cards on Linux cp.
Then
cp -rav /pathtosource/* /pathetoemptycard/
Remember there are two partitions to do, and sync before umount
pepedog
Developer

Postby harroxelas » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:18 pm

I guess I spoke too soon pepedog, I'm sorry. Dd'ing the image again was a dumb thing to do, since it just took the sd card to it's original state, it undid what you asked me to do.

Anyway, I did what you asked and manually copied the files from my old C4 sd card to the new C10 one (using cp -pr) and managed to boot up to the login prompt, but only when I left only the HDMI cable and power cable in (took keyboard and ethernet cable off). When I got to the login prompt, I inserted the keyboard and was able to login normally. I managed to do it once, now or I get the same hang after "Login Service is Started" or right at the begining.

Maybe it's a PSU problem? Does C10 cards need more power to function properly? Thanks for the help.
harroxelas

Postby harroxelas » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:20 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('pepedog', 'F')orget dd, if you followed the parted/format directions, dd overwrote it all
Follow what I showed and mount working cards on Linux cp.
Then
cp -rav /pathtosource/* /pathetoemptycard/
Remember there are two partitions to do, and sync before umount

I was posting my message while you posted yours.

I used -pr, I'll try with -rav.
harroxelas

Postby pepedog » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:46 pm

If I was to take a wild stab, and I know it seems unconnected, it's your keyboard drawing too much power
pepedog
Developer

Postby harroxelas » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:59 pm

Yer, prolly that. I used cp-ra (dropped the -v cause it was killing my cpu, my pc is quite old) and got the same results. Disconnected everything, then connected keyboard to login and after fluxbox kicked in, connected the mouse as well. Moving a single xterm window around was quite slow, slower than with the C4 card, it was prolly the CPU/GPU needing more power.

Need to get meself a better PSU.

I'll mark the thread as solved. Thanks man!

edit reason: spelling
harroxelas

Re: [Solved] Class 10 Kingston SD card - Login doesn't show

Postby Ste089 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:10 pm

Hi to all! I haven't found a section for new users to introduce myself in the forum, then I greet you and start here with my first post! :D
I recently bought the RPi and, as Archlinux user, I' ve installed Archlinux ARM in one SanDisk SDHC Ultra class 6 card 8GB and all had worked perfectly. But now I've bought another sd card, a 32GB Kingston SDHC class 10 (SD10V/32GB), dd'ed the official image and plugged it on the RPi, but it doesn't work :cry: The boot process takes very long time after the message

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'Login Service Started')

and returns a lot of identical errors:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'journal commit I/O error')

and some time after error messages i get a blank screen... What can I do to make my new SDHC work? I'm really thinking to buy another empty Sandisk SDHC class 4 like these preinstalled cards sold by "The Pi Hut" and install ALARM over it...

Can you help me? :cry:

Ste
Ste089

Re: [Solved] Class 10 Kingston SD card - Login doesn't show

Postby pepedog » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:07 pm

Sounds like you are burning image right.
Burn again, but this time leave card 5 minutes incase there is stuff in the buffer.
Boot without keyboard or mouse, plug in keyboard after boot
pepedog
Developer

Next

Return to Raspberry Pi