Where to start ...

Talk about the project itself, the community, where we are and what we need. Great place to introduce yourself and make friends as well.

Where to start ...

Postby heikojakob » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:59 pm

... adding support for Seagate BlackArmor into the kernel ?

Hi, i tried some time ago to write a patch to run a recent kernel the Seagate BlackArmor Series 4[40]0/Shasta, 220/Lassen and 110/Mono. Back then i started with a plain vanilla 3.4.4 kernel and edited the config by simply coping all the req stuff from the qnap ts-219. I then soldered a connector to the USARTs of my 440 and my 220 and got the console working on both with the standard firmware (u-boot + kernel 2.6.x). I got as far as adding the machineID (0x0000020f) to the mach-types. But then i got somehow stuck with serving kirkwood_mpp_conf() the right configuration.
So my questions are:
- What are the minimum requirements for kirkwood_mpp_conf() to get a minimum kernel (console and SATA) working.
- Because i want to support various board types, and memory is always rare, how do i "release" the unused config arrays after initialization ? ( f.e. ba_shasta_mpp_config on a lassen board)

With best regards
Heiko Jakob
heikojakob

Return to Community