Pogoplug NTFS Samba batch copy issue -- empty files

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Pogoplug NTFS Samba batch copy issue -- empty files

Postby rbfatality » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:51 pm

My very first post :-). I searched online but didn't find any previously reported problem like mine...

Basically, I have a Pogoplug E02 and I followed the instructions http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5/pogoplug-v2-pinkgray to get it run ArchLinux, and http://archlinuxarm.org/support/guides/applications/samba to have samba installed.

Then I attached an NTFS external hard drive to one of the USB ports, have it mounted and configured in smb.conf with public read/write access.

My client side is a Win7 machine. I can successfully access the samba share and reading files. It was all perfect until coming down to copying files from my Win7 machine to the samba share in batch.

Let's say, I try to perform a batch copy -- copying a list of image files from my Win7 machine to the samba share. It seems that the copying process writes one file, skips the next one, and then alternates. The files seemingly got skipped however leave a 0 size file stub on the target share, which eventually triggers a win7 dialog asking if I wish to overwrite these empty files, once the copying process finishes odd numbered files and starts to do the actual writing for the even numbered files. Please see the attached image for illustration. Image

And at this time, I will need to click "Copy and Replace" for all conflicts to get the files copied over correctly. If I choose "Don't Copy", then the target share will have half of the files with 0 bytes.

Any idea?
rbfatality

Re: Pogoplug NTFS Samba batch copy issue -- empty files

Postby moonman » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:43 am

Its hard to say what the problem is as most of us use ext filesystem and you are the second person to report this with ntfs. Is it an option to convert your drive to ext4? Could you show your smb.conf and the output of "mount".
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby BDX » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:38 pm

Exactly the same problem here, GoFlex Home.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '/dev/root on / type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,barrier=1,data=writeback)
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=61368k,nr_inodes=15342,mode=755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,mode=755)
tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,release_agent=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuacct,cpu)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/bfqio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,bfqio)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=26,pgrp=1,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/sda2 on /media/NAS1 type ext4 (rw,noatime,data=ordered)
/dev/sdb1 on /media/NAS2 type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other,blksize=4096)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,relatime)')

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
server string = ALARM
netbios name = ALARM
disable netbios = yes
security = share
load printers = no
printing = bsd
printcap name = /dev/null
disable spoolss = yes
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 50
dns proxy = no
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=131072 SO_SNDBUF=131072 SO_KEEPALIVE

[Musiikki]
path = /media/NAS2/
read only = no
public = yes
writable = yes
guest ok = no
valid users = root

[NAS]
path = /media/NAS1/
read only = no
public = yes
writable = yes
guest ok = no
valid users = root')
BDX

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:49 pm

Is Win7 maybe trying to send in some multi-threaded form?
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby bodhi » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:59 am

It is strange. I never have this problem copying files from Win 7 to a NTFS share (using Copy-Paste for group of files).
bodhi

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:17 am

I have hit this once or twice, but only when copying hundreds of files.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby cambo357 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:50 am

I am dealing with this as well. there was another thread a week or so ago, but IIRC there was no resolution.
Win7, Samba, NTFS drive on a PP E02 (box was marked as P21 when purchased, Grey E02 inside).
I have mostly been copying large groups of files, not just one or two at a time. This happens in pretty much all scenarios of writing to the NTFS Samba share:
Win7----->NTFS Samba drive A
Win7----->NTFS Samba drive B
NTFS Samba drive A----->NTFS Samba drive B
NTFS Samba drive B----->NTFS Samba drive A

but anything from NTFS Samba ----->Win7 works just fine.
Most of what I have been doing has been my mp3 collection, so bulk files. I am also cleaning up the tags in the files at this time as well. I am having a hard time writing tag data when the files are on the NTFS Samba share, getting an error message in my tagging app that it cannot access/write to some of the files. I will save data for an album at a time, some write just fine, others I get the error. If I do it more than once, it's not always the same files that the errors occur on, and if I save several times, it will usually get them all to work at some point. For now I have taken to copying them locally to the Win7 machine, save the tag data, then copy them back to the NTFS Samba share, and just dealing with the first mentioned issue.

Once I have gotten all my ducks in a row, I plan to reformat to ext3 (or ext4, though being new I have no clue why one or the other), and hopefully this will be put to rest.
cambo357

Postby bodhi » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:41 am

Workaround: install smbnetfs on your Pogo E02, which will automatically mount Win 7 samba shares. On Pogo E02, copy group of files from Win7 samba shares to Pogo E02 with cp command. It will be slow, but very reliable.
bodhi

Postby moonman » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:39 am

Can you guys test with this option under global:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'aio write behind = false')
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby BDX » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:15 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('moonman', 'C')an you guys test with this option under global:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'aio write behind = false')

No effect.
BDX

Next

Return to Marvell Kirkwood