Pogoplog pro with archlinux arm not booting if an additional

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Pogoplog pro with archlinux arm not booting if an additional

Postby guidof » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:28 pm

If I plug only the sda1 usb stick (The one with the linux installed) the system starts fine.
If I connect an additional usb disk (sdb1) and turn on the pogoplog the system doesn't boot at all, only the gree light flashes.
If I connect the additionl disk later (when the system is up and running), it is recognized as sdb1 and mounted.

I also tried to cleanup /var/log, boot with the external disk connected and the mountd the sda1 stick on my laptop, /var/log remain empty, it seems to be that pogoplug attempts to boot from the external additionl usb disk rather than from the usb stick.
guidof

Re: Pogoplog pro with archlinux arm not booting if an additi

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:32 pm

That is precisely the symptom of the known issue. Yes.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby ejblom » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:14 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', 'T')hat is precisely the symptom of the known issue. Yes.

Is there no easy fix available? I''ve stumbled across different fixes (including fw_setenv, but that doesn''t seem to apply for v3?). Couldn''t one just copy the bootloader to the external drive and point to the desired start USB drive?
ejblom

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:25 pm

This isn't GRUB.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby Socaltom » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:42 pm

The cleanest fix I've found is to have you boot drive connected to the sata port. IF it finds a drive there it will use it to boot and you are off and running. It requires some modifications to the case, and an eSATA housing, but no other changes to the install procedure ( this is different than totally booting from sata that requires special formating of the drive).

If you boot from the sata port, you can boot with USB drives in as many ports as you want.
Tom
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Postby ejblom » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:51 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Socaltom', 'T')he cleanest fix I've found is to have you boot drive connected to the sata port. IF it finds a drive there it will use it to boot and you are off and running. It requires some modifications to the case, and an eSATA housing, but no other changes to the install procedure ( this is different than totally booting from sata that requires special formating of the drive).

If you boot from the sata port, you can boot with USB drives in as many ports as you want.
Tom

This also sounds doable, although I would first like to exhaust all possible USB options. Isn't it possible to install some kind of busybox based Linux system om sda1 (the external hd) that has an only purpose of waiting, mounting sdb1, and use switch_root to change the rootfs and subsequently continue the boot process... has this option been used before?

[edit]
In addition, would it be possible when setting this parameters:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'root=/dev/sda1 ubi.mtd=2,512 rootfstype=ext3 console=ttyS0,115200 elevator=cfq mac_adr=0x00,0x30,0xe0,0x00,0x00,0x01 mem=128M poweroutage=yes rootdelay=15')

to substitute the /dev/sda1 by an UUID id?
ejblom

Postby Socaltom » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:48 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('ejblom', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Socaltom', 'T')he cleanest fix I've found is to have you boot drive connected to the sata port. IF it finds a drive there it will use it to boot and you are off and running. It requires some modifications to the case, and an eSATA housing, but no other changes to the install procedure ( this is different than totally booting from sata that requires special formating of the drive).

Tom

This also sounds doable, although I would first like to exhaust all possible USB options. Isn't it possible to install some kind of busybox based Linux system om sda1 (the external hd) that has an only purpose of waiting, mounting sdb1, and use switch_root to change the rootfs and subsequently continue the boot process... has this option been used before?

[edit]
In addition, would it be possible when setting this parameters:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'root=/dev/sda1 ubi.mtd=2,512 rootfstype=ext3 console=ttyS0,115200 elevator=cfq mac_adr=0x00,0x30,0xe0,0x00,0x00,0x01 mem=128M poweroutage=yes rootdelay=15')

to substitute the /dev/sda1 by an UUID id?

If it were that easy, I'm pretty sure the solution would have been posted long ago. If you search the forum you will find many folks with the same issue.
Tom
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Postby campigenus » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:07 am

What has worked for me - don't ask why, I don't know, I just know it works - is to shuffle USB and HHDs around and you might get a working combination. I have a working combo - USB in the front, HDD in the bottom socket in the back - that is 100% reliable for me.
~~~
"Good behavior is the last refuge of mediocrity."
- Henry S. Haskins
campigenus

Postby ejblom » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:01 am

Did you check the topic I posted yesterday? It works for me!
ejblom

Return to Community Supported