ALARM on Samsung ARM Chromebook

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

Re: ALARM on Samsung ARM Chromebook

Postby kb3pev » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:43 pm

Since my install was new I just started fresh and didn't update wpa_supplicant. That did the trick.

The other thing I was wondering is if anyone had a pkgbuild for the new jdk8 from java. Cant find one anywhere and I don't trust myself making one.
kb3pev

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:50 pm

Essentially, https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/jdk-devel/ .. you will have to modify some things to make it work/grab the appropriate ARM versions.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby kb3pev » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:17 pm

I was going to try that later today if I get the chance. The other issue I'm running into is copying the flash and googletalk plugins over from ChromeOS. I know they are working in the ubuntu builds. Someone was working on recompiling it earlier. Anyone had any luck?
Michael

*Edit*
I'm betting the problem comes from being on an older build of Chromium.
kb3pev

Postby stronnag » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:23 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('kb3pev', 'I') was going to try that later today if I get the chance. The other issue I'm running into is copying the flash and googletalk plugins over from ChromeOS. I know they are working in the ubuntu builds. Someone was working on recompiling it earlier. Anyone had any luck?
Michael

*Edit*
I'm betting the problem comes from being on an older build of Chromium.

Works for me (modulo the crappy non-accelerated video performance) using Chromium 20.0.1132.57-1 from 'extra' and the pepperflash plugin copied from the Chromeos partition. In /etc/chromium/default, I have:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '# Options to pass to chromium
CHROMIUM_FLAGS="--ppapi-flash-path=/opt/google/chrome/pepper/libpepflashplayer.so --ppapi-flash-version=11.3.31.518 --ppapi-flash-args=enable_hw_video_decode=0,enable_stagevideo_auto=0,enable_trace_to_console=0"
')

Don't suppose anyone knows the magic for getting speakers / headphones to switch on headphone plug in /out ?
stronnag

Postby jkirby » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:00 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('relghuar', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('kb3pev', 'A')nyone having issue's with wifi after updating the system. I have no idea what's causing it yet. Also having issues with the keyboard.

Thanks,
Mike

My wifi also stopped working today after reboot (after full system update), I suppose the cause is somewhere between NetworkManager and wpa_supplicant, as turning off network manager and setting up wpa and dhcp manually started the wifi just fine. NetworkManager just kept trying to connect, always asking for password. I'll try to get some logs out tomorrow
Regards,
relghuar

relghuar: Can you tell me how you got this working manually? I am struggling.
jkirby

Postby jkirby » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:39 am

Scratch that. I got it working manually. It has only taken me a week!

1) systemctl stop net-auto-wireless.service
2) systemctl disable net-auto-wireless.service
3) ip link set mlan0 up
4) iwconfig mlan0 essid linksys (in my case, the AP is 'linksys'; 'any' should work as well)

If your AP is open:

5) iwconfig mlan0 enc off
6) iwconfig mlan0 key off

Finish it up

7) iwconfig mlan0 ap auto
8) dhcpcd mlan0
jkirby

Postby relghuar » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:36 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('jkirby', 'S')cratch that. I got it working manually. It has only taken me a week!

1) systemctl stop net-auto-wireless.service
2) systemctl disable net-auto-wireless.service
3) ip link set mlan0 up
4) iwconfig mlan0 essid linksys (in my case, the AP is 'linksys'; 'any' should work as well)

If your AP is open:

5) iwconfig mlan0 enc off
6) iwconfig mlan0 key off

Finish it up

7) iwconfig mlan0 ap auto
8) dhcpcd mlan0

Naa, too complicated :) I just set up wpa_supplicant.conf and dhcpcd.conf (I think), with correct configs you only need to disable NetworkManager.service and enable wpa-supplicant@mlan0 (needs little tweaking as it always crates symlink for wlan0) and dhchcd -after that everything goes automatically, eve after reboot. The only think I'm not sure of is standby mode, the only time I've tried that whole machine hung up on me. I'll post exact wpa and dhcp configs tonight or tomorrow - this time for sure :/ I just have to get home from the cottage :
Regards
rel
relghuar

Postby relghuar » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:57 pm

So, here's my promised config:

root@toaster-cb:~# ls -al /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.w ... n0.service
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 47 Feb 10 14:57 /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.w ... n0.service -> /usr/lib/systemd/system/wpa_supplicant@.service
root@toaster-cb:~# ls -al /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/dhcpcd.service
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 38 Feb 10 14:35 /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/dhcpcd.service -> /usr/lib/systemd/system/dhcpcd.service
root@toaster-cb:~# cat /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant-mlan0.conf
update_config=1
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1

network={
ssid="home-mi"
proto=RSN
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
auth_alg=OPEN
pairwise=CCMP
group=CCMP
psk="*******"
}

network={
ssid="homenet-hs5"
proto=WPA RSN
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
pairwise=CCMP TKIP
group=CCMP TKIP
psk="******"
}

Like I wrote before, NetworkManager.service is disabled, wpa_supplicant@mlan0.service and dhcpcd.service are enabled. DHCP config is mostly default, with just clientid enabled (usually not a showstopper), wpa needs the config file listed above. Be careful with "systemctl enable wpa_supplicant@mlan0.service" - for me it always created symlink for @wlan0 instead of @mlan0, I had to fix that manually. Other than that everything looks fine, though I still didn't check the suspend mode... Also I still have no idea why the NetworkManager doesn't work anymore.
Now I'll try to get flash plugin working, I've noticed it somewhere earlier in this forum.
Regards,
rel

Correction: I've just tried suspend&resume, everything worked like before, so having wpa_supplicant with dhcpcd directly without NetworkManager makes no difference (except convenience level, of course).
relghuar

Postby jkirby » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:39 am

I will give this a try.

I also ran down to the Shack today and picked up a Belkin USB Ethernet adapter to keep on hand for backup. It is brain-dead easy to get the adapter up and running. I love my Chromebook, but I love it more running Arch with Xfce4.
jkirby

Postby jkirby » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:25 pm

I installed the ARM image file fresh and did a pacman -Syu. It trashed the system. After five or six tries, I got it working. I have to make a few updates first before making the full upgrade:

1) C runtime libraries
2) Bash
3) coreutils

I may have updated a few other less significant things, but the runtime libraries and the coreutils are required first.

Then I upgraded chromeos with pacman -S linux and selected option 2 (linux-chromeos).

Reboot.
Bring up network.

pacman -Syu

You still have to setup wifi or ethernet yourself. Netcfg works.

I notice that suspend and sleep are working great now.
jkirby

PreviousNext

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices