[How-To] Boot Entirely from SATA

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Re: [How-To] Boot Entirely from SATA

Postby sethjvm » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:20 pm

Thank you for the response. Is that with a regular mbr? And do you know which sector your sda1 begins on? is it 2048?
Pogo Plug Pro with ALARM SATA rootfs
success: wireless, samba, sabnzbd, sickbeard, transmission, lamp with Gallery3 and newznab+, rsync server, tor
still trying: avahi, minidlna
up next: asterisk, openvpn, proxy server of some sort
gave up: nfs and lvm
sethjvm

Postby karog » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:26 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('sethjvm', 'T')hank you for the response. Is that with a regular mbr? And do you know which sector your sda1 begins on? is it 2048?

Regular mbr and yes /dev/sda1 starts at 2048 and is 10240 blocks in size. /dev/sda2 is the rest of the disk and is ext3.
karog

Postby Geoff » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:35 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('sethjvm', 'I') am not sure if the problem is the 4096 sector size or the hybrid MBR or a combination of both.

I doubt that the 4096 byte physical sector size is the problem, as most drives force you to access them using 512 byte logical sectors anyway. Keep in mind that MBR is useless beyond 2TB, based on 512 byte logical sectors. If you're trying to use hybrid MBR/GPT, you might at least want to limit your first couple of partitions to fit within that ... any partitions required at boot time, at least. Fixing the MBR partition table after setting up the GPT is a tricky business. After it's booted up, if you're very lucky, the kernel might recognize the GPT partitions and not only the partitions that fit into the MBR partition table. I wouldn't bet on it, though.
Geoff

Postby sethjvm » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:21 am

It appears that my issue is with my Termaltake ST0005U SATA/USB2 dock. Google has revealed several forums where users have pointed out that Termaltake has changed the marketing (and technical specs?) of the drive over the years. Currently internet retailers are indicating that the ST0005U supports drives up to 3TB but there are older published specs that indicate that it only supported drives up to 1.5TB and then 2TB. People have tried (unsuccessfully) to get a firmware upgrade from Thermaltake to support larger drives however it does not appear that anyone has been successful.

As an aside, I am able to boot a 3TB drive with GPT (/dev/sda1=rootfs and /dev/sdb2=data) and 4096 bps sectors in a USB2.0 dock from NAND and see the entire drive.
Pogo Plug Pro with ALARM SATA rootfs
success: wireless, samba, sabnzbd, sickbeard, transmission, lamp with Gallery3 and newznab+, rsync server, tor
still trying: avahi, minidlna
up next: asterisk, openvpn, proxy server of some sort
gave up: nfs and lvm
sethjvm

Postby norules » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:48 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('jmandawg', 'T')o elaborate on what Warhead said:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '#Mount your rootfs on a linux box where sdx is your sata drive:
mkdir -p /mnt/tmp
mount /dev/sdx2 /mnt/tmp

#Write new kernel
dd if=/mnt/tmp/boot/uImage.nopci of=/dev/sdx1 bs=512
sync
umount /mnt/tmp')

This jmandawg's explaination, and what Warhead said above it! This is what allowed me to finally fix the issues i've had!
Sorry for replying to a post that is so old, but this is what finally allowed me to fix my problem. Previously, (Pogoplug Pro) i was not even getting a single blink from the LED with HDD connected, and no activity from the HDD (in contrary to all these people who were reporting the LED emitting few blinks THEN going dark). After applying the above, it worked instantly, alongside LAN and SSH, so i was able to fix the mess I made on my Pogo's NAND! Just wanted to let everyone who might have similar problems know, it literally took me 3-4 hours trying different uImage's, methods etc. etc.... Then after reading this and entering just a couple of commands, and BAM! Works! Thanks!
norules

Postby JohnJohn68 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:49 pm

Hi all,
I wish have your opinion about my problem. I have very very little experience on linux and any in flash Nand or rewrite uboot file. Also my english it is no so good.
By the way, I have a pogoplug P21 v3. It was perfectly working. But some days ago for a (big) error I installed install_uboot_mtd0.sh (http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/uboot/ins ... ot_mtd0.sh) instead of oxnas-install (http://archlinuxarm.org/os/oxnas/oxnas-install.sh). I rebooted my Pogo but then it wouldn't get back up. The pogo is on, but the logo light is off. When I insert the usb with Arch linux, it lighted for one second and after go off. Sadly, I can't see my Pogo on my network and consequently reach the pogo by ssh.
What do you think I have to do to recovery my pogo?
Thanks in advance
Ionny
JohnJohn68

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:46 am

READ THE DAMN THREAD.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby JohnJohn68 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:53 pm

Dear all,
I tryed to recovery my pogo, but, due my inesperience, some step in this procedure is unclear to me.
1) I connect to my pc running debian, a sata disk.
2) I dowload the tarball: http://ppl.ug/r1LnA0CT83U and extract in a folder
3) I edit the `disk_create` script to match the disk (in my case the address was sda)
4) run ./ disk_create (I did not achive any error)
5) for partitioning I used gparted (I don't know Fdisk command). I creted a primary partition dos fat16 with the first sector being 2048, of 16MB (sda1). After that i created the other primary partition (sda2) formatted ext3.
6) installed kernel running disk_create script editing it sda1 in order to place it into /dev/sda1
7) i mounted the formatted de/sda2 and I extracted into the oxnas rootfs. I also edit usr/local/mac_addr adding the pogo's mac address.
8) this stap is unclear. Anyway I digit 'sync' on terminal, and mounted the device.
9) I attached the device direct sata, apply the power
But the logo light stay off and I can't reach the device via ssh.
Do I forget to do some steps?
Thanks in advance
Ionny
JohnJohn68

Postby Socaltom » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:20 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('JohnJohn68', 'D')ear all,
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'I') tryed to recovery my pogo, but, due my inesperience, some step in this procedure is unclear to me.
1) I connect to my pc running debian, a sata disk.
2) I dowload the tarball: http://ppl.ug/r1LnA0CT83U and extract in a folder
3) I edit the `disk_create` script to match the disk (in my case the address was sda)

Do you have a Pro or a V3? If you don't have a pro you need to change the symlinks to address the non-PCI bus

Did you remove all the partitions before you ran disk_create?

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', '4')) run ./ disk_create (I did not achive any error)

5) for partitioning I used gparted (I don't know Fdisk command). I creted a primary partition dos fat16 with the first sector being 2048, of 16MB (sda1). After that i created the other primary partition (sda2) formatted ext3.

Do not format the 1st primary partition, just create a dos-compatible partition table

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', '6')) installed kernel running disk_create script editing it sda1 in order to place it into /dev/sda1
7) i mounted the formatted de/sda2 and I extracted into the oxnas rootfs. I also edit usr/local/mac_addr adding the pogo's mac address.
8) this stap is unclear. Anyway I digit 'sync' on terminal, and mounted the device.
9) I attached the device direct sata, apply the power
But the logo light stay off and I can't reach the device via ssh.
Do I forget to do some steps?

Tom
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Postby JohnJohn68 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:33 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Socaltom', '
')Do you have a Pro or a V3? If you don't have a pro you need to change the symlinks to address the non-PCI bus

Did you remove all the partitions before you ran disk_create?

I have a Pogoplug P21. I think it is a V3. is it true? consequently I have to change the symlinks to address the non-PCI bus. How can I change it?
Yes, I removed all the partition before I ran disk_create

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', '
')Do not format the 1st primary partition, just create a dos-compatible partition table

So, it is not a problem if I used gparted, but it is not correct format the 1st primary partition in msdos fat16. How can I just create a dos-compatible partition table?

Thanks a lot Tom. I apologize for the stupid questions, but I'm new user of linux. I just have two weeks of experience in raspbian with my raspberry pi, and only few hours in arch linux.

Have good time
Ionny
JohnJohn68

PreviousNext

Return to Community Supported