pacman just does not work

This forum is for topics specific to the Raspberry Pi and Arch Linux ARM

pacman just does not work

Postby 1destroyer2x » Wed May 29, 2013 5:07 pm

Hello, I just installed the newest Arch Linux ARM distro to my Raspberry Pi, made sure the direct ethernet connection was working on it, and tried to download some packages. I got a few 404 errors on some of them and just thought the repo had removed them, then I tried to do a system update.

Literally every single package gave me a 404 error. I'm assuming this is a problem with my mirrorlist, or possibly the pacman.conf (I haven't used pacman a whole lot, but I assume these are the 2 culprits). Now, I haven't altered either of these files at all, they are still exactly the same as the image, why would they not work?

If there's no clear answer, could someone at least upload their unaltered working lists?

Here is my mirrorlist for reference http://pastebin.com/HQC5Ap9X
1destroyer2x

Re: pacman just does not work

Postby 1destroyer2x » Wed May 29, 2013 5:11 pm

Well nevermind, a few minutes after posting that I tried again. It worked. Perhaps the servers were just down.
EDIT: Nevermind, it's still broken. It got pretty close to updating until this happened

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', ' parted-3.1-2-armv6h 427.1 KiB 171K/s 00:02 [######################] 100%
error: failed retrieving file 'syslog-ng-3.4.1-3-armv6h.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.archlinuxarm.org : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
warning: failed to retrieve some files from extra
:: Retrieving packages from community...
error: failed retrieving file 'openntpd-3.9p1-22-armv6h.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.archlinuxarm.org : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
warning: failed to retrieve some files from community
error: failed retrieving file 'rng-tools-4-2-armv6h.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.archlinuxarm.org : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
warning: failed to retrieve some files from community
:: Retrieving packages from alarm...
error: failed retrieving file 'raspberrypi-firmware-bootloader-20130514-1-any.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.archlinuxarm.org : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
warning: failed to retrieve some files from alarm
error: failed retrieving file 'raspberrypi-firmware-bootloader-x-20130514-1-any.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.archlinuxarm.org : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'raspberrypi-firmware-emergency-kernel-20130514-1-any.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.archlinuxarm.org : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'raspberrypi-firmware-tools-20130514-1-any.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.archlinuxarm.org : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'raspberrypi-firmware-examples-20130514-1-any.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.archlinuxarm.org : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'raspberrypi-firmware-20130514-1-any.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.archlinuxarm.org : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed to commit transaction (download library error)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
[root@alarmpi ~]#
')
1destroyer2x

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed May 29, 2013 6:53 pm

1) have you Syy?
2) consider setting a local mirror instead of group selection.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby 1destroyer2x » Wed May 29, 2013 7:28 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', '1')) have you Syy?
2) consider setting a local mirror instead of group selection.

I have Syy, I still run into the problem. How would I go about setting a local mirror?
1destroyer2x

Postby QuickyBR » Wed May 29, 2013 7:39 pm

I would love to understand why this happens too.
I know that when it happens, in most of the cases re-entering the command works fine,
but why do we need to do this? Why doesn't he find the host in the first attempt?
QuickyBR

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed May 29, 2013 8:30 pm

404 is not a host not found.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby kmihelich » Wed May 29, 2013 9:34 pm

Found one of our mirrors that wasn't responding properly to mirror.archlinuxarm.org. Should be fixed soon. This was likely the cause for the above case.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Return to Raspberry Pi