B3, Kirkwood based miniserver

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Re: B3, Kirkwood based miniserver

Postby ReedWood » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:36 am

Sorry for not replying so long, have been out of town. I will upgrade to your kernel tonight and let you know!
ReedWood

Postby ReedWood » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:58 pm

I installed the linux-kirkwood packages which is for linux 3.10.10-2, and the corresponding header files. On installing this packages, pacman issued the warning

WARNING! This kernel requires a newer U-Boot than many devices such as
the Dockstar and Pogoplug v2 originally came with. If you do
not have an updated version, your system WILL NOT BOOT.
but since no uboot is installed, I didn't worry too much about it. The following reboot failed, but I can right now not say way. I will investitage and report back.

P.s.: How it the system booted. Is there no bootloader. Do you use the uefi kernel stub?
ReedWood

Postby moonman » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:29 pm

Uefi? There's no efi on these devices, u-boot is the bootloader. It looks like im gonna have to remove the support for your device from the official kernel since it interferes with other devices. Use the 3.1 kernel i posted. The u-boot on your device needs to be recompiled to support kernels past 3.1
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby ReedWood » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:59 am

I guess I can not check if the kernel patch for my device interferces with other devices, since I do not own another arch device. However, I will try to figure out if and how I can or can not boot a kernel past 3.1.
ReedWood

Postby moonman » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:17 am

If you want to work on it, you will need a serial to debug. You need to make U-Boot disable L2 Cache since the kernel expects it disabled.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
moonman
Developer

Postby ReedWood » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:21 am

I read up a little on u-boot and how those arm machines boot. I also found out, that in order to configure uboot, I would need a serial (or perhaps it would also work with a two way netconsole setup [1]).

Fortunately, I found an uboot update for the B3 [2] which is ment to allow for 3GB hard drives, but also enables to boot kernels >3.2. After upgrading uboot, I could successfully upgrade to your kernel

Linux alarm 3.10.10-1-ARCH #1 PREEMPT Fri Aug 30 03:30:12 CDT 2013 armv5tel GNU/Linux

pacman -Qi linux-kirkwood
Name : linux-kirkwood
Version : 3.10.10-1
Description : The Linux Kernel and modules - Marvell Kirkwood
Architecture : arm
Conflicts With : linux
Packager : Kevin Mihelich <kevin@archlinuxarm.org>
Build Date : Fri 30 Aug 2013 02:35:04 AM MDT
Install Date : Wed 04 Sep 2013 04:46:07 AM MDT
Install Reason : Explicitly installed
Install Script : Yes

I also could upgrade the system, pulling in linux-api-headers 3.10.6-1.

In your last post you mentioned that the patch for the B3 breaks stuff on other platform. Is there any chance to get the B3 patch in the official ArmArch kernel? If there is work to do, how can I help?

[1] viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3355
[2] http://wiki.excito.org/wiki/index.php/U ... _3TB_disks
ReedWood

Postby moonman » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:01 pm

There was a patch proposed in github to fix this, but i haven't had time to actually integrate it.
moonman
Developer

Postby moonman » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:19 am

The issue should be fixed now for other devices. See if this update gives you any problems (3.10.10-2).
moonman
Developer

Postby ReedWood » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:10 pm

I could upgrade w/o problems

Linux alarm 3.10.10-2-ARCH #1 PREEMPT Fri Sep 6 07:51:09 CDT 2013 armv5tel GNU/Linux

Does this mean that the B3 is now in the set of supported devices?
ReedWood

Postby moonman » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:29 pm

It is supported in a sense that you don't need to roll your own kernel anymore, but there's no installation instructions so people are on their own. Also until there is no new rootfs tarball, the kernel image will need to be replaced with the one in this thread after unpacking. You are welcome to provide the installation instructions though.
moonman
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Marvell Kirkwood