Plans for Radxa and Rockchip?

This is for any ARMv7 device that we do not officially support.

Plans for Radxa and Rockchip?

Postby hagensieker » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:42 pm

First of all I downloaded and installed the image for my Cubox i4 Pro from the Arch ARM site and the instructions were great and it worked perfectly.

I just received a Radxa Rock in the mail and curious if there are plans to support an installation for this. I'd love to run Arch on it if possible. Ubuntu just isn't my cup of tea although any variant of Linux is preferable to Windows for me.

Anyway great resource here.
hagensieker

Re: Plans for Radxa and Rockchip?

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:06 pm

We're only now receiving a few that were donated by Tom Cubie.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby hagensieker » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:55 am

Thanks. So hopefully it's in the works. Can't ask for anything more.
hagensieker

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:38 pm

Yup. They have arrived (thanks Tom).

They are currently in line behind the Parallela though.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby omnibrain » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:23 pm

I am really looking forward to this. Can you give a rough estimate wenn the radxa will be supported?
omnibrain

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:27 pm

We're trying to work around the massive pile of proprietary crap in the boot sequence.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby kmihelich » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:40 pm

There are currently unresolved issues with the kernel seeing the onboard NAND, which is a big issue since that prevents using NAND for root or doing kernel upgrades.

On top of that, the whole system runs incredibly slow, and other peripheral devices aren't working correctly. Installation is also fraught with issues and pitfalls, as you have to perform multiple NAND flashing steps from an x86 computer using a proprietary closed-source tool over the USB OTG link; steps which do not always work correctly the first time. If you don't have serial hooked up while you're doing it (something not included with the board), you're just going to be stabbing in the dark and hope you get it right.

This system is really just one hack on top of another, on top of another, ...
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby Frontier » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:47 pm

I managed - some time ago last November/December - to boot ArchLinuxARM on Radxa Rock (Engineering sample) and even managed to load KDE (albeit without Mali support).

The process was quite confusing: I flashed an own-compiled kernel (3.0.36+) based on Linux3188 (I used the source from Galland's git) to the recovery partition and prepared a rootfs which was written on a microSD card (you can get the RR-ready ArchLinuxARM rootfs from here). I just followed a simple tutorial here on creating the rootfs for your favourite distro.

Since then there is a ton new stuff on Radxa and even Mali400 acceleration is available for Xorg, preliminary u-Boot support plus a 3.10 kernel complete with devicetree support; I will try - when time permits - to update my rootfs to include all new developments but I really hope that ArchLinuxARM team provide an official install package soon.
Frontier

Postby drynish » Sun May 25, 2014 2:24 pm

We can now boot from sdcard only and bypass the updates by OTG... this might gives you the possibility to do updates and tests more easily...

http://androtab.info/radxa_rock/sdboot/

Michel
drynish

Return to Community Supported